Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Rash and the Rationalized

Today I committed what may be the single most rash action of my life. I cut up a perfectly good piece of clothing! With scissors! I am still shuddering at the thought.

I woke up this morning in one of those "I have nothing to wear" moods that can hit unexpectedly, even when the closet is bursting. I was so sure I had nothing to wear that I didn't get out of bed until the NPR story I had awoken to was almost finished. But at last I decided I had to at least look. I couldn't very well tell my professors that I had skipped their classes because of truant clothing.

Upon dejectedly peering into my closet I discovered an old jumper, pushed way off to the side, that had been a favorite a couple of years ago. I looked at it with a wild surmise. Visions of Kim whipping up clothes in the morning back in our Bible School days danced in my head. Could I do it?! Could I be so reckless?

I snatched up a pair of scissors, and said aloud "Well, Kim, here goes nothing" (or some such phrase of throwing caution to the wind). Snip snip snip. A perfectly good jumper ruined. All of my Scottish ancestry recoiled in horror. My Center upbringing wept. My New England heritage gasped. How could I have been so wasteful of a perfectly good jumper?

But suddenly there I was, the proud owner of a very beautiful skirt (if I do say so myself).

Still, there seemed to be something morally wrong in what I had done. And then it dawned on me. What I had done was the essence of Scottish/Center/New England thrift! I wasn't going to wear the jumper again - it was just a little too short and a little too old. So instead of throwing away a perfectly good jumper, I re-made it into a very wearable skirt! Ah ha! My Scottish ancestry cheered. My Center upbringing danced. My New England heritage exulted in another faithful daughter refusing to be wasteful.

And now, after this intense moral and mental journey, I am still the proud owner of a very beautiful skirt!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes...I hate those days when I wake up thinking I have nothing to wear. Sometimes I even lose sleep over it the night before. Next time it happens, I'll whip out those scissors and saw the sleeves off some shirt. Thank you for giving me hope for the future--now I can get out of bed before the NPR story is over.

Linds said...

Good for you, Thrifty Souled One!

Katherine said...

Last year in Israel I once found myself dusting with a piece of Megan's shirt...a shirt I had just seen her wear the last time I was with her. Being very confused since it was a perfectly good one, I asked Katie. She said that in the heat of the summer Meg had snipped off the long sleeves.
So, you're not alone in performing rash deeds. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're a genius ala Sid, but how did you keep it up?
Want to know what's funny? The blue button 6 inches below this dialog box that says, 'Login and Publish'. PUBLISH !?! Sorry for laughing, but it relieved my itching sense of the ridiculous.
(Amy)

drewey fern said...

Ah, an excellent question, Amy! I grabbed an old belt I fortunately had (which was used to keep my sleeping bag rolled up), and simply folded the extra material over it and tucked it in beneath! (Okay, now that I've completed this excellent missive, I'm off to publish...!)