Several years ago a wise woman told me that transitions are always hard, but they can bring about great good (or something like that). I am discovering the hard element of the transition to bloggerhood. For instance, how in the world do I change the time zone from Los Angeles to Scituate? How do I come up with some creative blurb to go under my title? How come my post is deleted when I try to edit it? There is indeed much to discover.
But I am forseeing the great good as well. Okay, "great good" might be a little magnificent for what I have in mind. Let's just say I am having ideas of things on which to write.
What tipped the balance in favor of starting a blog was remembering my old ambition of becoming a columnist like Mary Roach of Reader's Digest or Ann Coulter of Whoever Isn't Too Offended to Publish Her Columns (and yes, I realize that Mary Roach and Ann Coulter are very different - I want to keep my options open), and I thought this could be the perfect venue for launching my career.
Of course, this is not to say that everything on this blog is going to be informational/funny/political/interesting. I may indeed revert to talking about how my day went.
But at least the old ambition gave me enough courage to start a blog without feeling like I was merely adding to the time-wasting triviality of the world.
Okay, I'm going to try to figure out how to switch time zones now. If I can't enjoy the warmth and sunshine of Los Angeles, I'm not going to submit myself to their time.
No comments:
Post a Comment