Well, friends, opening day (besides the fact of who won) was INCREDIBLE. Talk about a once in a lifetime experience. It happened like this:
I was minding my own business Monday morning, getting ready for school, when Melissa came bursting in to say that Brian (that guy from volleyball) had tickets to opening day in the Bronx, but his wife had fallen the night before and broken her leg. He called Uncle Paul to see if we wanted them!!! Can you believe it?!
So Uncle Paul, Melissa and I all piled into the car then and there, happily blowing off classes once again (despite the fact that I had a group presentation - my prof is a baseball fan, I knew he'd understand). We made our excited way NY, which was an adventure in itself, since I've really only been there in a passing through kind of way.
There's no way I can cover all the incredible details, but can I just tell you that walking into Yankee Stadium with my Red Sox hat on was as close to facing a firing squad as I ever want to get? My pulse was going so fast it was just one solid beat. But we stuck together and found our seats, which were next to some Red Sox fans from Boston! Of course there was instant camaraderie of the deepest kind.
The introduction of the players was one of the happiest moments of my life. I have seen many of them play before - but never as WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! My voice is still recovering from that moment.
Of course we were subjected to many taunts and jeers - but we remained stalwart to the end - and added a few jibes of our own in return (when there were security men in the near vicinity). After all, we knew who was on top. Oh man, what a rush.
Well, yes, you're all very smart readers to have been skeptical while reading this post. And rightly so. I watched the game on the couch in the den, while working on a paper due the following day. And I went to bed in about the 6th inning, since I had to get up early to finish my paper. Sigh.
But hey, in the legendary words of "Angels in the Outfield" fame: It could happen!
4 comments:
Well, I guess I am in the ranks of the gullible. I followed your blog with a great deal of pleasure and credulity. I walked right of the cliff without even seeing it coming.
Sigh. I guess it was too good to be believed.
You fooled me, too. I was sighing with jealousy right up until that second-to-last paragraph!
Aaron : )
You, along with Weeza, are evil & must be destroyed. And yes, that means that you got me too!! :)
While I was reading your post, Bria walked over and I asked if she'd read about your going to the REd Sox game. She said yeah, and asked if "it got me." Kind of confused, I said yeah. I thought she meant something like did it make me jealous. Well, now I know what she meant. You got me good.
Post a Comment