Monday, May 02, 2005

A Character Sketch

My last day of college, which I was afraid would be weepy all the way through, was a wonderful day, full of unexpected and pleasant surprises. The foremost of these was Julia's appearance. Julia is one of the most interesting and amazing people I have ever met. She graduated from PC last year, and chose my last day of classes to return for a visit.

Julia is one of those rare people who is at ease with everyone, and completely free from collegiate stereotypes. She dresses classily, speaks eloquently, and laughs easily. She was an English major, completely entranced with great literature, but also loved music and theatre and anything Medieval. Her favorite saint is St. Catherine of Sienna, whose feast day is Julia's birthday.

She just spent a year volunteering with the Dominicans in Chicago, living with other volunteers and nuns, and teaching Humanities to homeless women in the city. She is presently teaching science fiction, at the request of those women. She is about to move back in with her parents, to help them with projects on the house, and to be there for the spiritual awakening that is happening in her father's life. Talking to her made me remember that there is endless potential in life-after-college, contrary to my thinking earlier in the day, which ran along the lines of 100% stress.

It seems like the college world is full of so many people who are so very much like all the other people. But Julia stood out to me as someone who is genuine and different, confident and apathy-free.

Having her show up on a day that could potentially have been depressing was a little gift from God, and evidence of His care for me - a care that will certainly continue in the future, whatever that future may hold!

4 comments:

Booker said...

Just one question. How does one teach "science fiction"? as in, the mechanics of it or what? it just caught my attention...

drewey fern said...

I have no idea! I imagine they just read it and discuss whatever they want to about it. But she did tell me that the philosophical question of whether or not robots have souls came up. Fortunately, one of her students told the group that her brother is a robot, so she could give them inside information. And she informed them that her brother does not have a soul.

Claire said...

Oh my word. That reminds me of an experience I had at the Billy Graham Phone Center...I was talking to this caller who was afraid that his soul had escaped him.( Uh...and you are still talking to me...how?) I think he said that he SAW it in a vague, nebulous cloud departing him in an upward motion. Okay. Too bad I didn't think to ask if he was a robot.

Booker said...

Wow, now that is deep! Maybe I should quit my job and start discussing if robots have souls.

I guess humanoid robots would have to exist first tho, huh? bummer. One more career option down the drain...