I sat down at the computer this morning to take on the day's portion of the application process, and was completely daunted just looking at the words I'd typed up the day before. I was so sick of reading what I'd written, and I did NOT want to proof-read it!
So I decided to go get an iced coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Obvious solution. And fortunately, RI has more Dunkin Donuts per square foot than any other state. I love Rhode Island. However, I got out to my car and found the battery (surprisingly enough) was dead.
So Melissa drove me to Dunkin Donuts! Save #1.
I got back to the house completely rejuvenated, and ready for action. I read my work from yesterday and decreed it perfect. And then I tied up all the loose ends. And then I was ready to put it into the envelope and mail it off! It was a thrilling moment. Until I read the little blurb at the top of the application: "Please send this application with an updated resume to..."
RESUME?!
This was indeed a blow. I didn't have a resume. I had just filled out 10 pages of information, and enclosed 7 essays, and they still wanted a resume? What more was there to be said?!
Fortunately Mr. Pass had been down visiting Nate and Penny a few weeks before, and I had gone down to get a refresher course on resume-making. He had taught us how in Transition Class (as they called it way back in my day), but I had doodled throughout the class, doubtless thinking of all the things I had to do and how I would never need to have a resume anyway. Hmmmmm.
So I took some of the sample resumes I'd gleaned from his collection, and went to work. After hearing me groan and moan for awhile, Melissa came in to offer assistance. She suggested some excellent wording, as well as some key points for the "work experience" section. Suddenly it was much better. Save #2.
And then she gave me some wicked professional looking paper to print it on. It came out looking excellent. Save #3.
By this time, however, I had missed the mail pick-up, which is around 2. And of course, my battery was still dead. So Melissa drove me to the Post Office and I got the resume/application safely into the mail, on its way to Middletown! Save #4.
I told Melissa that if I get this job, it will be because of her.
5 comments:
WOO!! I am so affirmed!!! Thank you!
If (I mean WHEN) you get the job, I will only take MOST of the credit. After all, you did get the Thomas O. K. Thompsoningtonson award all by yourself.
I wish I could think of some really smart remark right now, but I am just to euphoric right now...
Whew! Glad to hear the mighty missive finaly made it off! Yeah Dunkin Donuts, Melissa and Mr. P!
You make me miss Dunkin Donuts!
Isn't Melissa the coolest? And I'm so glad you got that huge application done. Keep us posted, eh?
Post a Comment