Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Ahhhh Summer Evenings

Last night was simply beautiful - just the right temperature, with a golden full moon. Amy, Melissa, and I decided to go for a walk. We ventured out of the house, talking amiably and enjoying the perfection of the night.

As we passed Grandpa's house, I felt a slightly uncomfortable sensation under my heel as I walked. I decided not to say anything, but the discomfort did not go away. There was definitely something wet on my foot. Finally I uttered my unspoken fear: "Guys, I think I might have stepped on something really gross."

Interested, the three of us went back to have a look. I crouched down, squinting into the darkness of the driveway. There, to my horror, was what appeared to be a salamander. I had stepped on, and apparently squished, a salamander! I was horrified, and completely grossed out.

Amy and Melissa raced to Sara's house to see if we could borrow a flashlight. I followed behind, dragging my foot in the wet grass. They did not have a flashlight, but Amy remembered her light-up-able cell phone. Back we went to survey the damage.

Lo, it was a snake. I had stepped squarely on a snake and killed it with my proportionately overwhelming weight. I cavorted around the driveway, screaming with horror. Of course, the screams were muffled by my sweatshirt, since it was after 10:30.

As we walked back to the house, I wondered (amidst my periodic groans) why God would need, in the grand scheme of things, to send three girls out on a walk in order that one of them might step on a snake and kill it with her bare feet. Maybe it was terribly poisonous. Or rabid, suggested Amy, reasonably.

When we returned, I told the tale of woe to Aunt Laura. She commented that it sounded very Biblical! Aha! There it was. We were sent on the walk to be reminded of the Gospel! So we all thought about it and talked about it, and thereby infused some meaning into the sordid affair.

18 comments:

Kate said...

This I would have enjoyed seeing! Poor Andrea!

Anonymous said...

Ewwwww!

-Lisa

Laughter said...

Fascinating!

drewey fern said...

Oh I do love Adamses:)

Mrs. RF said...

Yuck! I just told my hubby and he broke out into laughter!

Makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Katherine said...

I know how you feel! Once when I was weed wacking, I hit a snake and all the lovely pieces of it went splattering all over me.
It's times like these that God made us to scream!

Kristi said...

I'm trying to think of that scripture about the heel of the woman crushing the head of the serpent. Just think of your historically scriptural moment, Andrea!! Seriously, that is incredibly disgusting and weird. Why was the snake just sitting there waiting to be stepped on??

Booker said...

Why did this happen? A very deep, theological question indeed. Not to be answered lightly.

So here's what I propose. God knew how you would react, and He also knew how all the guys who read this would react, and He realized the collective funniness far outweighed any grossness. So there you go. You stepped on that snake soley[haha] to provide entertainment for the male part of your readership.

If you think my thesis is suspect, just email Isaac and he can give you all sorts of greek words and whatnot to justify what I wrote...

CKS said...

"AND BLOOD WAS EVERYWHERE!!!!!"
Oh thou great and awesome snake-slayer!!! Good thing it was dark...imagine if you'd looked down and seen it as its guts squished out all over your bare feet. and good thing you're not in india or florida or some dangerous place.

Once i was mowing and this frog refused to get out of my way, so i ran over it intentionally. i didn't really know what would happen. let's just reprise the former quote to say "blood was everywhere!!!!" or frog guts, actually. I was filled with terrible remorse. I would have given anything to rewind the clock and bring that frog back from his many little graves all over the lawn. kendra just laughed that i felt badly. our roles were definitely reversed in that incident. Welcome to the world of unmoving reptile/amphibious creature murderers!

Laughter said...

Craig! That's nasty! It's one thing to do it by mistake... but with full knowledge? I have the number for a good psychiatrist.. you probably should call him sooner than later. I fear your mental state is detrimental to the frog population. Awww... the poor lil froggy-woggies...

TripleNine said...

I hate having to blog at the library, I simply can't laugh the way this deserves. Ryu is right on, hahahaha

Brad said...

Now whenever the subject of snakes comes up you can casually mention that once you killed a snake with your bare feet. You don't have to mention that it was unintentional...yep, I just stepped right on him and kilt'm dead...best way to get rid of those nasty things.

Shay Dawg said...

Whoa, I think that is way more worse than any encounter with any critter.

maldrich said...

Hehe! I wasn't at a library and I Laughed loud and hard!. So much that the rest of the family was wondering what my problem was and I had to explain. That's so disgusting! Actually, I laughed hardest at Craig's frog thing, I can just imagine my husband doing something similar.

Kayla said...

Hahahahahahaha. That certainly DID provide very great amusement. Disgusting I know. . .

By the way, Isaac Reed told me a joke aways back: what's green and red and goes in circles? A frog in a blender! Oh dear--but I got a good kick out of it anyway.

Kristi said...

OOh, Kayla, I didn't need that little word picture in my head! :-0

KJ said...

ANDREA!!! That is soooo disgusting. Sarah and I enjoyed reading it together and gasping in horror and laughing anyway.

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Hmmm... reminded of the Gospel? You mean Andrea is the Great Serpent Slayer? I was thinking that was someone else. But no matter, my theology can be corrected.