Friday, June 17, 2005

Grocery Shopping Thrills

Today, driven by the desperation of a starving household, I set out in the company of Amy and Laura to do some grocery shopping. We had a list a mile long, a blank check (unfortunately already made out to Shaws), our trusty Shaws card, and a coupon that boasted 10 dollars off any purchase over 100 dollars. We entered the store with gusto and began the hunt for the perfect food.

I am a very slow shopper. I was looking for napkins, for instance, and deliberated for minutes before finding white ones that were pretty cheap. Meanwhile the girls had found baking soda, baking powder, granola, and salsa. Sigh. Good thing they were there.

But it was okay, because while I was debating the great napkin question (which reminds me of the last time I went grocery shopping - this time with Melissa - when we stood, together, looking at strawberries - the first item on our list - for about 5 minutes. What a trip that was!) a young man walked by, merrily singing "Keep your eyes upon the eastern sky!" I was desperately trying to think of whence that phrase had come when he finished it as he rounded the corner: "Lift up your heads! Redemption draweth nigh." He was a very normal looking guy, adding his own little twists to the music. It made me happy.

That's the part I like about grocery shopping: the human touches. I passed this young woman who avoided eye contact and looked kind of troubled. I wished I could have connected with her. And then, later, we found ourselves on a collision course with our huge carts, and we had to joke about it. It was a great connection!

I find that the fuller carts get, the harder they are to maneuver. I had congratulated myself on getting a cart that didn't steer sideways or anything, but once you get 100 lbs of granola, cat food, cherries, popsicles, and juice, it really doesn't matter whether the cart steers sideways or not, since it is pretty much completely resistant to motion of any kind.

We got to the checkout, and started putting our food on the belt. The entire thing, from the end to the cashier, was covered with our food. The receipt was probably three feet long. And I am happy to report that almost every single item there was a sale item. And now our larders are no longer reminiscent of nursery rhymes with old women and dogs in them!

8 comments:

Claire said...

I find a strange and yet tremendous feeling of accomplishment and safety once the cupboards and fridge are restocked...even though I known it is a vain, Sisyphian effort. ( Isn't he the guy that was doomed to pushing a rock up a hill and then watching it roll down over and over?)

Booker said...

Grocery shopping is a horror. Lots of people, small aisles, annoying people leaving their cart in the middle of the aise while they wonder 2 miles to check out sugar varieties. I hate shopping.

And I just went grocery shopping this afternoon before Sabbath. Not the best time of my life...

ljm said...

Sounds like a good time to visit RI!

And Claire--that's because you're still, and always will be, in tribulation mode. I remember, as a child, worrying at night that we wouldn't have enough cat food in the tribulation.

KJ said...

I enjoyed grocery shopping when I did it for Gretchen last summer! And I love personal touches too. Which makes me think that I must needs tell my "personal touch" story from an expedition to the grocery store at Cape Cod some time soon... but not tonight. Stay tooned! :) I LOVE YOU and God bless your interview tomorrow m'dear! I'll pray tonight (since I'll still be asleep as you charm the board men tomorrow!)

Anonymous said...

But I won't be asleep, and I'm glad to know when the charming is sposed to be going on!

And Andrea, at least you don't have to carry all those groceries home on your own little back! :0) That's the price for having adventurous shopping all around me, I guess.

Was it really one hundred pounds of granola?

Lisa

Mrs. RF said...

Now that you are experienced would you like the convention shopping list??? Those carts really do get harder to push! But, so satisfying to cross off all that stuff...27 bottles of salad dressing, 16 boxes of cake mixes, etc. etc.

drewey fern said...

Just to clear up any confusion... I meant Laura H. not Aunt Laura:) I dont generally refer to Amy and Aunt Laura as "the girls."

TripleNine said...

You make me glad that I'm a single guy. One week's groceries can almost always fit into one of those handbaskets. Of course half of my meals are prepackaged boxes so that makes a difference too.