Last night I was caught in a peculiar time warp. I wasn't fully in the past, because I was a conscious now-me, looking back on a then-me, but I was pretty close. I was home with the rest of my family for Father's Day, and Mama had pulled out all of our old childhood papers: cards we'd made, letters we'd written, school papers, drawings, etc. I was amazed at how much it brought back. The living room was soon filled with laughter as we took turns reading and showing various treasures we were unearthing.
I was laughing so hard that I had tears streaming down my face as I read my "about the author" at the end of a story I'd written: "My name is Andrea. I like to pick beans."
What!? Where in the world did that come from? So much for the more traditional "I have a dog" or "I like to ride my bike." Bean-picking all the way.
Soon I was discovering little indications, in those early writings, of the person I would later become. For instance, Gretchen found a book that she and I had written together, and the dedication page said: "This book is dedicated to people who say hi to people they don't even know."
I found this little essay from second grade: "Someday I'm going to be a techer. I will be a nice techer. I will give the girls ponys and book and candy for thare dirthday. I will live in a Machon. [Teacher with a mansion. Riiiight.] I will give the boys machboxes and gi joe stuff and candy for thare birthday... I will be vary fun. the end"
I found many things I'd written about friends: Jenny, Timmy, Rosie and Craig factored in regularly. "Me and Craig made up a sog. It wus abot The Snow." I would like to claim some credit for Craig's more recent musical achievements, because I was obviously very instrumental in getting him started.
I found several letters from both Melissa and Claire. Melissa (whose letters were dictated through her father or mother, since she was about three at the time) wondered what I had had for dinner: oatmeal or oranges? My school writing assignments had many references to happy visits to Rhode Island. "We played all day. We played outdoors and we played in. We had all the fun we could."
Claire wrote to me when I had the chicken pox, and I have never seen so many exclamation points in one place in my life. I have no doubt I was very cheered by it. I also found a secret code we had made up for our secret game, and number seven was "let's hide from K." Ironically enough, Kimberly was reading this one out loud without having read it through first, and this part brought a little howl of protest.
I also discovered early signs of familial loyalty and protectiveness. I suggested that we put the following sign on our door: "The answer is yes or no. Which ever you want. Please don't knock unless you must. My father is sick of it. After all its the SABBATH." And there were also early evidences of later friendships with siblings, despite the above paragraph.
Mama found this list of my age 9 ambitions:
1. Cashier
2. Nurse
3. Teacher
4. Table Captain
Actually, go back and read that list with about a 3 minute pause between number 3 and number 4. That is about how long it took Mama to stop laughing enough to read it out loud.
It was a fun, fascinating evening of revisiting my childhood. I went to bed with the overwhelming feeling that I had had the happiest of childhoods.
16 comments:
Man, you knew what you wanted to be since way back then? Lucky you. I still don't know what I want to be...
Isn't always so fun to go back in time for a while? I think you would of made a great table captain.
Oh Andrea, what fun! I chuckled and smiled the whole way through. This is vindication for those of us who save papers by the boxful! Speaking of which, my mother has a newspaper she wrote as a teenager, as if it were set in Biblical times. It recounts the engagement of "Timotheus and Sharon." :o)
Looking forward to seeing your talented self!
Lisa
My grandkids are going to hate me. I save nothing. Well, almost. I love to throw stuf awayyyy... woohoo... woopie... yahoo!
I laughed SO LOUD at the Sabbath Sign. " My father is sick of it." Ah...out of the mouths of babes...
By the way, what IS a Table Captain? Can you give me a job description? I think maybe that might be what I want to be now.
Now, I'm off to Kimberly's blog to apologize about #7 in the code...
Hooray for mothers who save things. I will try to do better!
Ah yes, I should have explained... The table captain is the person who sits at the head of the lunch table, and tells kids to be quiet, and opens their thermoses for them when their mothers put the covers on too tight, and stuff like that. What could be more glorious?!
Was that something from LWCA?[or whatever variation it was at that time?]
No DJ, it was from DCS (the idyllic little red brick school house on Main Street in Dublin) and I too remember the awe-inspiring Table Captains... I think if you were the last one eating they had the authority to make you wipe off the table before you could go out to recess... Ahh! The memories!
Aaaah...at first I wondered if Table Captain was an old term for the "on duty" Bible school staff member who was supervising mealtime!
Oh my Andrea, I loved reading about the family memories and ancient literary works from your past. For some strange reason, your "My name is Andrea. I like to pick beans," immediately reminded me of a funny experience I had at home in the Hills many, many years ago when I was about 11 or 12. We had many, many young single men and women pass in and out of our home in the summer time, and at one particular meal, when guests were present, one of the dashing young men asked, "So what have you been doing with your self?" I immediately retorted, "Peaing!" What I meant was that we had been picking lots and lots of green peas and caring for them, but you can imagine my horror, as soon as the words were out of my mouth and gales of laughter resounded around the dining room. You can imagine my adolescent embarrassment!!
Hesper that is incredible! I can't even imagine what it must have felt like. Don't worry though I'm laughing my head off since it didn't happen to me.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. Thankyou for that amusing anecdote. That will take me thru the rest of the week...
You did a great job on reporting our wonderful evening... you did it justice and who knows if I'll ever do my report on it... :)
And poor Aunt Elaine!! What a tale.
And to calm your curiosity, that "deleted comment by author" was mine, I forgot to mention about A.Elaine's comment and I didn't want to put another comment just for that, so I deleted mine and reposted my comment... sadly, it did no good b/c now I'm putting a second comment on after all! :) oh well
Post a Comment