I have returned from my exile from blogger-dom! I was vacationing in Florida where there was not Internet access to be had for miles around (or at least a short car ride). I handled the hardship tolerably well by means of various breathing techniques and “picture yourself on a sea horse in the ocean” sessions.
But now I have returned, and am a better person for the trip, for now I can truthfully say that I have conquered 95 with a truck (SUV, whatever) and trailer! I was helping the Demmes in their move, and Fritha and I headed up the transport-the-stuff-from-the-NJ-house department.
My first shift began at 11:30pm, after a day of loading furniture. I was drowsy, to say the least. But with the help of coffee and Nickel Creek I woke up pretty well. That and a little adrenaline. I had barely driven anything larger than a station wagon – and pulling a trailer on the highway was definitely a new experience. From 11:30 to 1:30 I was stiff as a ramrod. My legs and arms were tired from the strain. By 2am, however, I was relaxed enough to actually bring my back into contact with the seat back.
And before long I was a pro! I wasn’t even noticing the peculiar fact that there were three ka-chunks when I went over bumps, instead of the usual two. And I took us through a one-lane construction area without knocking over any barrels, despite the fact that they were disturbingly close to the cement barricades on the other side.
I was even enough at ease to imagine bizarre explanations for why the guy behind me wouldn’t pass me, even though I was going 5mph under the speed limit (we had to pull the trailer at 65 the whole way, even when the speed limit was 70 – very trying in a way, but also quite relaxing!). I decided he was a very paranoid individual who was scared to pass my menacing looking vehicle for fear that masked men would leap from the trailer and begin to systematically bomb him. I had myself so convinced of the story that, when another car passed me safely, I was surprised that he didn’t follow suit since of course now he could see I was perfectly harmless.
All in all it was an invigorating experience. Quite a power trip. I can pretty much conquer everything now that I’ve done that. And what’s more, to my everlasting delight, Fritha’s famous grandmother wanted to give me one of the special carnival shirts, since pulling a trailer practically made me an honorary carnie. I have now arrived.
9 comments:
Welcome home! This one missed you :)
Great to hear that you survived your great adventure... and happy to hear from you again! Hope to se you soon!
If u were into blogging as much as you are into the sox, you would have found a way!
Of course, you come back just in time to get all the sunshine and warm weather up here too...
either that, or she just takes the sunshine where'er she goes...
WELCOME HOME!!!
Yeah! Nice to have you back again! Glad the trip went well!
Good job on the driving. Sorry I couldn't come along to help out but sounds like you didn't even need it. Thanks for the sun too!
How did you like this HEAT????
Sad that you left, but very happy that you made it back safely.
I am so impressed! I know I wouldn't have wanted to drive all that way with a trailer- especially with no experience. Kudos to you.
Post a Comment