Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Lamentations

I lament the passage of great words from the English language. There are some words, prevalent in societies past, that enhanced vocabulary to a remarkable degree, and which we, in our society, are poorer without. Words like shan't and wither and wherefore (which means why, just so we're perfectly clear) made conversation so rich. For that matter, it seems that the desire for artistic sentence structure has totally passed from the every day American scene.

I, however, would like to propose the first step towards bringing back the ancient eloquence. We, my fellow Americans, should re-adopt the word FORSOOTH. What flair the word has! What clarity of meaning! What weight it lends to the ordinary sentence! Just think about the possibilities in today's world for all manner of people.

The Red Sox fan: Keep Schilling in middle relief forever, forsooth!

The English teacher: Split infinitives, forsooth!

The Liberal: Allow people to have more control over their own lives, forsooth!

The Vegan: Leather glasses case, forsooth!

You get the picture.

And so I leave you all to contemplate the merits of thus enhancing your vocabulary. Stuck forever in the mindless drivel of unitelligible slang, FORSOOTH!

5 comments:

Booker said...

howza bout ebonicsor sumfin? meeza lika talkin likes hows mees does...

CARmelo said...

so I figured forsooth was the past's equivalent of saying "Not!....like I like a lima beans...NOT!....but had to check dictionary.com...to clarify it...and saw that it is defined as "in truth" but used ironically to mean disbelief....interesting...no...
By the way Shan't is one that I hear, though infrequently, thought you'd care..

Aaron said...

Let us use this word with unmitigated frequency...forsooth!! Hahaha!

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Just so you know, I have decided to teach this word to my students.

Possible examples: The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery, forsooth!

FDR was the best thing that happened to the U.S. in the 1930s, forsooth! (Gotta be careful on this one, I'm not tenured yet!)

The 1920s was a time of great stability, forsooth!

Anonymous said...

Forsooth, forsooth, forsooth!! You sound like someone I know whose initials are TFM or FSM!!! Carry on!