Thursday, August 18, 2005

Another New England Rhapsody

Days like today are the reason I think New England is the best place in the world. The temperature is perfect – a little this side of warm – the sky is blue, blue, blue, and the rest of the world is in vivid color that suggests Ritz developing. And on top of all that, Dad recently set up the hammock. Sorry everyone, about the fact that I am using the best spot in the best place in the world. I've been there for hours, reading a fascinating teaching book, but interrupting my reading periodically to look up at the sun in the maple leaves – an amazing contrast in light and greens – and to listen to the nearby running water or the chirping bugs. Phew! What a place! I even relented and let Bluebell (our cat) into the hammock to enjoy it all with me. She had been poking her face between the cords (a most amusing sight) in an effort to get in. I don't blame her. It was blissful.

The day was enhanced by a barefoot walk to the garden to pick corn. You can't get much more carefree than that. Although I did get more carefree by shouting merrily back and forth with KJ who was at the main house. That reminded me of yesterday, when I was seized with a similar affection for the place and opened my front door to yell about it. I was quite surprised to get a shout of agreement back from the main house! And THAT reminds me of the time I walked out of the main house singing "Summertime, and the living is easy…" only to hear the next line wafting down from the apartments (it was Tim Stoneman). Ah the happy summer moments.

Like I said, I'm afraid I took the best spot. But I trust you will all find second best spots to enjoy this beautiful weather!

4 comments:

drewey fern said...

To be strictly honest, I wrote this post yesterday. My computer, however, was acting up and wouldn't allow me to get online. Oh happy day when I shall be reunited with DSL!

And hey, today was incredibly beautiful too - complete with canoe ride on the Lake!

Kate said...

I would agree with you 100% I'm at Fairwood too, though not in the hammock at your house. :-) Another blissful place was sitting on the pavement in a patch of sun right in front of the men's dorm. With nothing to do except soak up the sun. Another nearlly perfect place was the passenger seat of Andrea's car with good music and conversation.

Booker said...

The perfect place to be, huh? hmm, lets see if I can think of one. OH, I know!

Sitting in my easychair watching anime! :) Doesn't get much better than that. Heh, heh, heh...

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea, the voice from the Main House was me! And do I ever agree with you...

Lisa