- I'm down with food poisoning for the second time this summer. Burger King salad was the culprit the first time, and I'm pretty sure Subway is responsible this time. I have decided to forswear eating from now on.
- Imagine all the time we would save if we didn't have to eat! I know I'm going to have terrible eating habits when I'm on my own, because it just isn't worth it to do much work to eat. In fact, it has actually happened that I have grabbed a piece of store bought bread with nothing on it in order to quell that hungry feeling. Yum.
- I went down to the school to get some materials this morning. I found out I'm going to be teaching two more classes than I thought. I'm now not only teaching 2 Lit classes and US Government, but also Typing and... Survey of the New Testament! Step over Dad and Uncle Neil! I realized as I was driving home, that my life for the next year is going to be somewhat like having a long-term paper/project due every single day. There is going to be so much to really prepare for! While you can get by with the minimum for quite awhile in the short-term at college, being ready to teach the "eager young minds of tomorrow" every day is another story, methinks.
- Also on the way home I was driving over the Newport bridge (one of my all time favorite spots on earth) and I saw both a Z-3 and a Jaguar. Not bad.
- I'm adjusting to reading the Odyssey. The first chapter took me an hour (I was reading very carefully and taking notes), but today I got through 4, I believe (still reading pretty carefully and taking notes). I might actually finish it after all!
- While driving to the school, I went through the little toll booth, and the man thought I was so funny. All I did was ask for tokens! But he beamed away, and kind of chuckled while he gave them to me, and I drove away grinning and feeling like I was part of some incredibly funny inside joke. I'm pretty sure he was still smiling b/c of the guy in front of me, but it was still an interesting experience. I should try just randomly laughing at people so they have that same happy "I'm part of a great joke" feeling.
- I sent an e-mail to my PC English profs to let them know of my new teaching career. Today I got this reply back from Dr. Delasanta, one of my absolute favorites: "It occurs to me that the PC English Department has doomed all three of its Murray graduates to a life of academic poverty. But then isn't poverty one of the three (poverty, chastity, obedience) monastic vows? You didn't expect to take a monastic vow when you came to PC, did you?"
- While I was totally charmed by Dr. Delasanta's words, I don't think I'll share them at the school. They are already a little jumpy about my having been educated at a Catholic school.
- Nonetheless, I feel like I got the best possible English education. No other school could have done better. Gretchen and I were recently talking about this, and thanking God for the way He worked it out. He does have a good plan!
Monday, August 08, 2005
Blurbs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
24 comments:
two more classes?!!!? Do you know how brave I think you are?
yeah, what she said!
-Lisa
Food poisoning. Hmm. Bummer...
I hope you told them that meant a salary increase of 67%!
The thought of doing a semester presentation every day is rather sobering. I've done a few of those...but every day?
I'm sure you'll find a groove. Also you're skilled at making stuff up on the spot--gift of the gab and all that. It'll come in handy.
P.S. In typing, teach them how to use the number pad! They'll never regret it! It's how I earn my daily bread.
So are you looking on teaching the NT as a blessing? At least there should be some familiarity with the text... Like ten times as much as your students will ever need!
You go girl. Can't wait to see you soon(!)(?)
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
I am glad to see that you're availing yourself of the merits of a classical education. I must correct you, however; the labors of Hercules were twelve in number. Keep at the Odyssey also, and I hope you're reading a good translation.
-Pat
There, twelve entries for the twelve labors of Hercules!
-Pat
Um, Pat?
Was that that TWELVE identical comments?
Lisa
You bet. Twelve is also an appropriate number because it was the number of axe heads through which Odysseus shot an arrow. Next time it will be twenty-four, for the number of books in the Odyssey...
-Pat
Thanks for the (manifold) encouragement, Pat. I got quite the shock when I saw 21 comments, and cynically thought I was the victim of some malicious plot. Au contraire! It was a cheery plot:)
Thanks for correcting my mythology, and as far as I know the Odyssey translation I have is a good one (Allen Mandelbaum), although I'm reading a different translation than the one my students will be reading, so I hope they enjoy it as much...
When I'm an English teacher I will have to cut back on the run-on sentences. Sigh.
Can't go wrong with Mandelbaum.
-Pat
And here I was expecting to read something interesting with 23 comments. Phhhh, figures...
Post a Comment