Tuesday, August 16, 2005

On a More Serious Note than Usual...

I recently had one of those quality discussions with friends, and we arrived at some important and thought provoking conclusions.

Travelling a circuitous route that included blogging, children, and tales of substitute teachers past, our final conversational destination was the spiritual state of the 20/30-somethings in the church. We recalled the meeting at the Fall Convention, and the call to action we'd had at that time. We spoke of the blows we have faced and the fatigue that seems to be plaguing our number. No one seems to have energy to spare, and each is just trying to keep afloat. We acknowledged the fact that this may very well be the time of the “wearing out of the saints.”

And yet this cannot be an excuse to slack off in our pursuit of God, and in our furthering of His Kingdom. One of the girls I was talking with said something about our group seeming to “drag its feet.” I could identify with that. In one sense I feel like I'm doing everything I can do. I've been called to teach. Fine, I'll teach. But is this the best? Is this the highest? Would I be willing to ditch the job, move, and live by faith in some kind of community situation (that was the most drastic thing I could think of)?

In a way I almost wish we would be called to something drastic. A clean break with the old routine and the usual cares of life - a group of like minded followers of Christ willing to put everything they have into His service - some more of the old glory days. I would be willing! And yet it seems like that probably isn't what God is requiring of us at this point. So what is He calling for? How can we be sure that our group is doing what it needs to be doing?

Soon the conversation turned just enough to remind me of something I felt God brought to my attention a few years ago. At the time I was praying for the church, and praying that we would be able to fulfill what God had in mind for us. All at once it was very real to me that the most important thing I could do for the church is to be right with God myself. I need to make sure that my relationship with God is alive and flourishing. I need to make sure I am totally submitted to His will myself. I need to “tend my own vinyard” (Song of Solomon) before I can worry about anything on a community/corporate level.

This was eye opening to me at the time, and was again the other night while we were talking. If all we 20/30-somethings are totally committed to the will of God then we will be sure to be doing what He intends for us! If we are doing His will totally, then we are okay.

The conversation was so rich at the time that I think we should have a 20/30-somethings meeting at the upcoming convention in order to talk through some of these things. Anyone want to join me?

7 comments:

Booker said...

Well, there is a men's group meeting at the end of august, so that might just jumpstart things...

Anonymous said...

Yes, Andrea, yes!
Lisa

redsoxwinthisyear said...

Thanks for the post Andrea. It was thought provoking and challenging. And right on with the insight about being right with God personally in order to be effective.

I'd be up for any kind of conversation along the mentioned lines. Provoking one another to good deeds and sharpening is always a healthy thing.

Kristi said...

Sounds like a very profitable discussion idea, but alas, I won't be there! :-( But I'll look forward to hearing stirring reports of God's moving.

Anonymous said...

Andrea,

You are right on about all this! It does seem
like the wearing down of the saints is in full swing.
I was just thinking the other day how it seems like
life is just one big stress after another...hopefully
I will have a chance to email you before long, so I can
think out loud some more along these lines:)
Good stuff!

love,
karena

Kate said...

I'll be there, DV, Andrea. Have you talked to your Dad about planning it in yet?

Anonymous said...

Hey, I really liked your "tend your own vine" thing.