Once upon a time, there was a huge offense perpetrated against lovers of literature everywhere. I was walking through the kitchen at Fairwood, back in the day, and glanced over at the white board to see what illuminating quote had been placed there this time. The board read:
"To thine own self be true." -- Oprah
OPRAH?!?! Try Shakespeare.
How dreadful that some icon of popular culture would take a line straight out of Hamlet (it's from Polonius' speech to his son) and twist it to mean some liberal, feel-good "be true to yourself" catch phrase. Besides, when Polonius was saying this, he meant look out for number one. He was giving pragmatic, if not selfish, advice. Oprah, forsooth!
Something similar happened recently. Melissa and I were trying to remember who said "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." We decided, as is our usual m.o., to google it. Up it popped as a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt. I don't think so. I scrolled down farther and sure enough, it was Milton. Another hero of literary history being robbed of his right by some lesser mortal. Of course, Eleanor Roosevelt seems like a great woman and all, but still...
All of this brings to mind a book Dad was reading a year or so ago. It was an adventure story, part of which took place in Jerusalem! He was reading along about this guy in his getaway car in the Old City. He was a little skeptical, but decided it was possible to have a car in the particular place described in the book. But then he read as the car turned and went down the street to exit through the Damascus gate. At that point Dad was unable to suspend reality any longer. The Damascus gate?! Clearly the author had never been there, and was basing his descriptions on some street map. You see, street maps don't show the fact that that street, leading out the Damascus gate, is impossible for cars to maneuver, due to the fact that it is a series of steps! And don't forget the masses of people and carts and goods for sale (that was the low point of my Israel experience - I've never been so glad to get out into an open space...).
Dad was telling me about this, and I was laughing about it, and commenting about how cool it was that we knew first-hand that this author was out in left field somewhere.
Dad understood, and suggested that perhaps the words I was looking for to describe my feelings were "smug and superior."
11 comments:
Someone once said that Shakespeare was corny...used too many cliches!
hahahahahaha...
I laugh a lot about driving a car out Damascus Gate. There would be Arabs squished everywhere, not to mention the stairs.
Now I know when I want to be famous, I should steal quotes from literature and 90% of the world will have no idea my wisdom is recycled.
Ahem. Shakespeare? (Or Shakespeare, forsooth!) Try Socrates, or at least Plato putting words into Socrates mouth! And if Socrates/Plato didn't use these words exactly (my research abilities are currently limited so I can't conclusively say so), I think Shakespeare was borrowing this classical idea and doing his own twisting. Interestingly enough, Socrates was closer to espousing the modern "liberal" idea of being true to yourself. But personally I don't think it has to be the domain of liberals only. Recall Socrates accepting his unjust punishment of poison rather than fleeing the city when he had the chance? Classic application of this principle, which is more noble than liberal, me thinks.
(Feels smug and superior) :-)
Incidentally, Andrea, I'm really jealous of you if you get to teach Plato's Dialogues. It is some really rich stuff that I would love to unpack sometime with students/peers who could intelligently discuss it.
Well, Chad, at least Shakespeare is closer to the original source than Oprah!
Way to deep for me here. I'm probably along the lines of the idiot giving credit to Oprah. :-)
All I have to say is this:
Why did anyone put up a quote by Oprah in the first place?
No matter how good or whatever. People need to realize what Oprah believes and stands for before they go quoting her all over the place...
What is all this drivel!? Throw the dishnetworks and American pitbulls out! I just wanted to say a small comment to Chad...The way you said you wanted to 'unpack' Plato's dialogues reminded me of Prof. K. Spoerl. Okay, Derrick, I'm going to go find out everything Oprah believes and stands for. :) If you want to find me, I'll be watching her show.
but didn't Damascus Gate used to be higher? And have a draw-bridge kind of entrance? Maybe the book was older than the new excavations. :-)
Or maybe the book is really new, and refers to a mini Cooper, a la The Italian Job?
Claire, I guess I'm a Spoerl convert.
Oh bother, I forgot about ol' Socrates. Oh well, you get the idea... As far as Plato, I think the farthest I'll get with teaching his writings is the Allegory of the Cave. But you never know. I might need some time fillers.
Hee hee hee - Shakespeare and cliches - that was funny, Bria!
And Aaron - I owe you one. Thanks:)
The Jerusalem book was a new one. No excuses for that guy.
Claire, you make me laugh :) Thanks...
Post a Comment