Sunday, September 11, 2005

Another First: Grading Papers!

After a quick call to Danny, when I realized that I had no idea how to grade papers, I sat down and delved into 7th and 8th grade book reports. I've been pleasantly surprised at their writing abilities, although I must admit to laughing out loud a few times. Here are some of my favorite passages:

[On The War of the Worlds] "Unless you like to read books that have too much detail I do not recommend this book."

[On Mr. Jekll and Mr. Hyde] "The main problem is Mr. Hyde lurking about and committing evil because he murdered someone and stomped on a little girl."

[On Treasure Island] "The theme is don't turn to piracy or you will find your self on the gallows."

[On Perelandra] "The only way to stop this spirit was to beat the stuffing out of Weston and thus knocking the spirit out of his senses."

[Also on Perelandra] "Altogether, this book was suspenseful, imaginative, and thought-provoking although it does lack accurate knowledge of the make up of the solar system as Venus is made up entirely of volcanic activity."

3 comments:

Booker said...

Perelandra quotes had me in stitches! Thank God for young minds that are still young and malleable, and still very fresh and funny :)

Aaron said...

Wow! Those were awesome, Andrea! I especially liked the first two and the first one on Perelandra. Mama read over my shoulder, and she enjoyed them, too. I'm sure Bria would enjoy them, too, if she were here. *sniff, sniff* ; )

lis said...

I love the one about Venus and the volcanos! How frightfully scientific... Whatever are they teaching them in schools these days?