Tuesday, October 25, 2005

In the Zone

Today I was leaving school, and took the shortcut through the auditorium/gym. There I encountered three young boys who were brandishing hula hoops. I smiled at them and stuck to the edges of the room while I exited. Half way through the room one of the boys cautioned: "Watch out! You're in an empire war zone." I don't think empire was the word he used, but alas I forget the real one. In any case, it was reminiscent of Star Wars, and whether the connection was in my head alone or a legitimate one I do not know. I thought it completely charming, whatever it was, and continued merrily on my way.

Once outside, however, I discovered more truth than fiction in the idea of some kind of danger zone. I was driving up over the Newport Bridge (yay!) and noting how unusually green the water was, when I was suddenly without control. My car was going right, and I was not making it do so! And then I realized it was the wind! I slowed right down, and crept the rest of the way, still incredulous at the force of the gusts.

The water showed it, too, by being choppier than I've seen it before. It was so choppy, in fact, that I stopped to take pictures. I tried to open the door, and realized I had accidentally locked it on myself. So I hit the unlock lever and nothing happened. The door wasn't locked - it was the force of the wind against my door that made me unable to open it without an unusual amount of force!

Ah the joys of remnant hurricanes/nor'easters.

Now, though, I am happily ensconced on the couch, ready to do lesson plans, and reveling in chocolate and beautiful music (um, by the way Craig, we have your John Rutter CDs. Heh heh heh, thanks!). Thank the Lord for a warm, dry, comfortable house!

5 comments:

Booker said...

Somebody's not eating their WHEATIES!!!!

lol...

Anonymous said...

You gotta love the wind from hurricanes.. Try driving in in but add blinding rain.. OH man I am glad that it is over

CKS said...

I should have believed you when you said the Browns' CD player swallows CDs and that's why their collection is so big. :-)

redsoxwinthisyear said...

The title of this post makes me want to immediately finish the advertising jingo, which would be "Autozone." Guess that shows how corrupted I have become by the crass commercialism in our evil capitalist society.

Shay Dawg said...

And thanks for giving my school money later that day and the happiness it brought to me!