I woke up yesterday and stared curiously at the odd glowing of my blinds. Then it dawned on me. Sun! I'd forgotten (in a little over a week, which shows the amazing powers of my short term memory) what the sun looks like when it shines in the window. I was happy to be reminded.
Today the mother of one of my students came in - she is definitely my favorite of all of the parents I've met - and chatted for awhile. She began asking questions about my church, and whether it was Baptist of Pentecostal. I said we sang hymns and rarely raised our hands - although the occasion branch waving was not unheard of. It soon came out that her daughter had said to her, "Mom, something's going on with Miss Murray. You need to talk to her." I stood there in fear and trepidation. What in the world was going to come next?! What had I done? And then more of the story came out.
The "something's going on with Miss Murray" was, fortunately, a good thing The school I'm at is very traditional, and doesn't do the Pentecostal thing. But this particular family is Pentecostal. Apparently I had said something in class which my student interpreted as "God spoke to me and said..." This had caught my student's attention, since it was something she believed in, but knew that the school in general didn't endorse. Not only that, but my student said it also caught a fellow teacher's attention - evidently his head suddenly popped up from his studies.
Ay ay ay. I have no idea what I said. I know I didn't say "God spoke to me," because I've never had that happen to me. But I must have said something close (God showed me? God indicated to me?) that both the student and teacher took to be the same. And now I'm beginning to wonder if the headmaster's impassioned sermonette (during prayer time) about the canon being closed, and people not hearing God's voice anymore, was directed at me!
Hooo boy. Have I plunged myself into deep water? I haven't heard anything from the headmaster yet (except when he said they were glad to have me there!), so I'm guessing it's not going to be a big deal.
It's such a tricky thing to walk the denominational line! I'm not sure which subjects are taboo and which are talk-about-them-or-be-considered-a-pagan. Ah well. If I get fired, I'm sure you'll hear about it.
10 comments:
Bollux the torpedo's and full speed ahead![there is more to that statement than you will ever know, hahahaha].
One thing about working with pagan's, don't have to worry about denominational things, thankgoodness!! :)
Andrea getting revelations again. You sure sound a litle heretical to me!
Yes, I'm sure they can tell you're flirting with that Pentecostal line! Before we know it, folks, Andrea will be waving her hands during church!
A agree Ms Fern. God still speaks. It's a happiness to be still and listen. Our heart warms when we hear His voice. He speaks often.
BURN HER AT THE STAKE!!!!!
A modern day Joan of Arc?... are you trying to spread your disease!
Hmmmm interesting:) Marie
This reminds me of the time in my Humanities seminar when my prof said, with a note of scornful disbelief in her voice, that some Protestants think that the Bible is like a FedEx from God to them. (in that it was personal...) Hmmm. I kind of like that analogy!
I'd just say you belong to a denomination in the Baptistic Holiness tradition. It is true, and those who are up on their church history will know exactly what you mean
Those who don't know anything about other Christian traditions (which are the problematic ones) will generally be impressed and shut up (at least that is my experience).
Blue Knight-Ms? And who are you? I am going to ask that everytime I see you comment.
I say: "Why worry?"
with my face all contorted to show a "who cares" expression. I am afraid of those that believe in God but don't know Him.
Post a Comment