Friday, October 07, 2005

Teachers' Workshop

I have now discovered what it's like to be on the other side of "teachers' workshop" days. Ah the joy of them as a child. And even though they now mean something different than a day off, they're still pretty cool. I got to sleep in until 7 this morning!

As a whole the day fluctuated between the excitement of a new, very practical strategy to implement, and the incredible boredom of that mid-afternoon, wicked tired, I-can't-take-any-more-of-this feeling. During the former I was jotting down notes. During the latter I was torn between letting out a Howard Dean-esque yell and putting my head down on my desk and bursting into tears. But the day ended, and I got home early. So all in all, it was a good experience.

I missed my kids though. I kept thinking of things I wanted to tell them or discuss with them. And then I remembered they wouldn't be there. Ah well, Tuesday is coming (no school Monday! Thanks Columbus!).

Good news: ALL of my kids got A's on their Government tests!!! This was especially good since NONE of them got A's the last time around. I must admit, I made their way a bit easier this time. My hints tend to get a little obvious sometimes. But their essays showed some real genuine improvement, which was very heartening.

And now it is the Sabbath, and a long weekend, and I have books and movies from the library. Yay!

6 comments:

Booker said...

Lucky you, getting Columbus day off! and sleeping in til 7 and getting home early sounds nice too! Can I have those perks without all the bother of being an actual teacher?

Kristi said...

Yeah, I don't Columbus Day off. But I had yesterday off because of a field trip, so I guess we're even!

Kristi said...

Correction: I don't GET Columbus Day off.

Shay Dawg said...

Wow i'm surprise ALL your kids got A's. That's awesome. I sure don't get Columbus day off. They wouldn't even give us Labor day. grrr

drewey fern said...

No Labor Day!? How unAmerican of them! Actually, there was some holiday that we didn't get off at PC. I forget which one. Maybe Veteran's Day. And I was SO annoyed every single year. Sigh. Here's to Thanksgiving and Christmas.

CKS said...

One of my student teacher friends at Hartt said most public schools in the Hartford area get Rosh Hashanah off. I was flabbergasted...but it's true the Jewish population around there is significant. It seems if that happens we should at least get Columbus Day or Veterans Day off. No such luck.