Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments wishing me many happy returns of the day on my birthday! The day was a singular experience.
First of all, it was the Brown family Christmas. Never a dull moment there. Whew.
And then came the most memorable part of the day. We all charged down to play volleyball, and we were having a grand time of it. In fact, I haven't played such good volleyball in ages. It really was a blast! Then there was one of those wild and high balls that could be anyone's, and I made the mistake of going for it with another, larger, taller, stronger person. My forehead made sharp contact with his elbow, and sent me flying un-gracefully to the ground. My my. I leaped up again, only slightly the worse for wear, when I felt something wet. Bother, I was bleeding. I departed the game (right across the other team's court - talk about interference!) and ran to the women's dorm upon discovering, in the gym entryway, a distinct lack of anything to staunch blood. By the time I got down there, blood was dripping off the end of my nose. What is it with me and head wounds? I looked in the mirror and saw a cute little stream of blood that neatly divided my head with a scarlet stripe from the top of my forehead to the tip of my nose. It was pretty funny. Anyway, I got some paper towel and cleaned my head and the sink as best I could before heading up to see Uncle Lewie.
Ah the joys of a grand entrance. Most of the adults were still up there, you see, waiting for the pizza to arrive. In I walked, asking for Uncle Lewie, and the throngs of horrified faces made the perfect gauntlet. Several aunts/uncles/cousins are in the medical profession, being EMTs, nurses, etc, so some were quite interested in following the proceedings and warning me of scars (right in the middle of the top of my forehead - I hope no one gets any wrong apocalyptic ideas), and looking on with joy as the butterfly bandages were applied.
How's that for a good birthday event? I was actually kind of pleased. There's no risk of this birthday being forgotten, and it's going to make a GREAT story when I get back to school. Aunt Debbie suggested I tell some wild tale of gangsters and brawls and stuff just to make it more exciting:)
Also on my birthday I got several lovely e-mails, blog comments, phone calls, and the like which made me feel remembered and loved. One highlight along those lines was a voice mail message I got of a huge crowd singing Happy Birthday. I had some guesses, but couldn't quite figure it out. Then I heard Lisa saying it was the whole Springer clan! Now how's that for a once-in-a-lifetime experience! I loved it!! Thanks, Lisa:)
I also had a lovely time with my family, opening presents (Mama prepared 26 separate presents for my golden birthday! Wow! This meant, of course, that some were stretches - I got some canned goods from the cellar for instance - but that made for some good laughs, and I was actually quite happy to get said canned goods!), hearing nephews sing happy birthday, and getting prayed for by people who love me.
Also, I was awakened at three minutes of midnight to a banging outside of my room. Outside, as in outside the house. I was half asleep still, and couldn't figure out what it was, except for perhaps the wind blowing ice chunks against the house. But that didn't really make sense. Then I thought perhaps gangsters were trying to get in (huh? you might say - but I have been having quite active dreams lately - I've already saved Dad from being murdered by pushing him off a large yacht of some kind before the bad guy could stab him). Finally I realized someone must be throwing snowballs at my window! I leaped from my bed, and promptly knocked by newly injured head against the window in an effort to see out. Yessss. But then I got the window open and saw KATIE! I hurried downstairs to let her in. She'd gotten in from GA earlier, and then remembered it was my birthday and came racing down to see me before it wasn't my birthday anymore. We've never seen each other on my birthday. She even came bearing gifts! It was the crowning touch to my birthday, and I headed back to bed very happy.
So there, my friends, were some events from my golden birthday. Hurrah for 26ness! So far so good.
7 comments:
Wow, I never had all that on my golden birthday! But then, I was only 10.
For years now, I've believed that you were a year or two my senior (like Lindsay), but I actually felt rather smug to discover my whopping four months of seniority!! How silly of me. :-D
I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one who has given you a head injury anymore, but sad that it had to happen on your birthday.. and I'm glad you enjoyed our singing..uh, I mean our message =p
why is the 26th called the golden birthday? I seem to be missing some sort of knowledge here...
It's golden because she turned 26 on the 26th. Mine was my 10th birthday because I turned 10 on the 10th. Comprende?
Comprende. And I missed mine! I feel gypped!!! Why didn't anyone tell me about these things? I think my parents have it in for me! I want a recount, or a recall, or SOMETHING :)
Mine is coming right up... twenty-four on the 24th. :-D
Congratulations on your 26ness, Fern!
Hey Drew, my 26th b-day will also be my golden b-day, cool just like you...mine's in Jan.
Happy Birthday...by the way how long was the cut?
Have a great year! and happy new yeah too!
Post a Comment