The 30 by 30 list is an idea Lindsay introduced to Amy and me a couple of years ago. It's a list of thirty things to accomplish by the time you are thirty! We had such a fun time making them together - what a happy memory. The things can be as varied as you want. Here are some on my list:
*Buy a piano
*Take horseback riding lessons (this is one that was enabled by Amy and Lindsay's graduation gift to me!)
*Read Oliver Twist (done!)
*Go to Israel or Europe
*Teach for at least one year (almost done, and hopefully I'll be at it for much more than a year - I actually had one of those "I can't believe I'm getting paid to do this" moments today!)
*Get a Bachelor of Arts in English (done!)
*Read Dad's Book (maybe this summer?) (and for the remaining four and half years 'till I'm 30?)
*Own the movies Persuasion (check!), Wives and Daughters (check!), Riverdance (check!)
*Memorize the prologue to Tennyson's In Memorium (done... although it's rusty now - I'll have to refresh this one)
*sing in a choir after college (found a possibility - have to audition this summer)
*go to the Boston, NY, Philadelphia or DC art museum
*go camping (I've never been!)
*change my own oil (thanks for the lesson, Bethany!)
etc. etc. etc.
Those are a few items. Lindsay has such ambitious things as refinishing furniture on hers, but that sounded like too much work to me. I just throw it out there to demonstrate the diversity possible:) Not to mention demonstrating the coolness of anyone who would have that on her 30 by 30! I would recommend it for all - it's great fun! And it's exciting to be able to say you've accomplished things on the list.
8 comments:
After writing out 3 very different comments, and promptly deleting them, lol, I guess all I can say is this:
I don't understand the appeal of these lists, but I hope those who do have fun filling them out...
I love the list thing! I used to have my own sort of list called "Dreams, Goals, Ambitions," or some such, but it is long-buried and mostly forgotten by now. The beauty of the 30 by 30 is that it has a deadline, so the goals are less apt to fade into oblivion...
Hmm...I can only remember a couple of mine off the top of my head: One was to make a quilt, to which at this point I can only say HA! Goals definitely can change!
And the other one was to own a grand piano someday, and I have to say I really don't even want one now: I love the piano God has provided me with, and if we had a grand we'd have to build a new room on the house to hold it!
I usually make an ambitious list of goals every year, but I love the idea of 30 by 30! I'll have to work on that. Hmm...what could I do in the next three and a half years? :-)
Hi Andrea!
I like your list! Persuasion is one of my favorite movies.
Seems like it's less well known than Sense and sensibility, emma etc...We may be viewing it soon in our book club. Also like the goal of buying a piano!
I remember when you first told me about your 30 by 30 list when we were going to Busch Gardens or something. I'll have to make up a list too since some of your goals reminded me of things I want to do,such as camping!
YOU'VE NEVER BEEN CAMPING!!!!!!!
You simply must come down for our annuel campout in our backyard this fall.
I like your list thing. The only list I have right now is a "books I want to read" list and that is long enough. *sigh* too many good books in this world.
I make a list every year...the problem is remebering where I put the list and also reviewing it to keep it fresh in your mind....the list I had was 101 things to do in 1001 days...I stopped it during Bible school..because I wasn't sure if the list was relevant and didn't want the list to come between what God wanted for me....not to sound pious....and only recently started thinking about doing such a thing again...
.....one of the things on my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days was to own a pair of Clark Kent glasses...those thick black ones I have...thought you'd be interested in that...
I have to day is also, YOU'VE NEVER BEEN CAMPING?!you should come down in the fall for ours even if jane won't be here "sniff" :( but making a list is not a bad idea i'll have to try that some time.
Post a Comment