No, I'm not going to go into a detailed, historical look at the Murray clan here and now. Sorry. I know it would be incredibly fascinating, and you would all benefit greatly from it. I'll keep it in mind for some future time. Maybe.
Instead, I'm going to go into a semi-detailed, barely-historical look at the RI library system. I love it so much! And, having just availed myself of one of its excellent services, and therefore being filled with warm fuzzy feelings about it, now is the time to rhapsodize.
The semi-details are this: By getting one little card - a simple piece of blue plastic - the entire world of Rhode Island's books are open to all RI residents. I can get books from Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, Cranston, Providence, North Kingstown, and Scituate, all in one homeward commute, if I want to! If I (in my usual last-minute state) need a movie to show my class the very next day I can just pop over to whichever RI library has said movie on its shelves. Side note: this is a huge benefit to living in such a small state - I could never go across the state to get a movie I needed if I lived in TX, for instance. But here in RI I go across the state every day just to get to work! Ahhh, so handy.
The barely-history is this: Today I thought I should read the book "Epic" to my dear chillins. It is an excellent example of looking at Literature in a deeper way than just words on a page (which is their sad tendency). So I popped over to Amazon and ascertained that I could get the book for quite a reasonable price. But, having decided to pinch pennies a bit more these days, I thought I'd check the library system. LO, there was a copy in Providence! And there was another intriguing work by the same author in Cranston! And thanks to the dear old CLAN system (oh, that is the name of the RI library system, by the way - I probably should have explained that sooner), with a few keystrokes I have both items scurrying on their way to my local library. Amazing! Blessings on thee, oh CLAN system.
This is not to disparage the Dublin Library, of course, which holds my deepest loyalty as a most beloved, architecturally beautiful, historical, intriguing, good-smelling, cozy establishment. But I must admit that RI allows for a bit more flexibility than a small town library.
Might I also add, that if Heaven were indeed attainable by good works, Ben Franklin (wasn't it he?) would be first in line at the Pearly Gates with the good deed of establishing public libraries. Way to go, Ben! Let's hear it for books for free!
4 comments:
I think the public library system existed before Franklin, but not the free public library (I think there was some rental type of thing before). I do rejoice with you in your joy, and try not to be envious...
I know of lots of library systems being linked, like manchester and surrounding places, but pretty impressive for a whole state to be linked. Of course we are talking about R.I. :-)
Exactly 999. but hey, it sounds good written down, right? :)
And I must say, libraries are just plain good...
Yeah, and now you'll make me homesick for libraries (a) filled with books in English that (b) I can take out.
Nahh, don't have enough time to read much more than my awesome friends' blogs.
But hooray for PINES, while we're at it. (CLAN's Georgia cousin).
Post a Comment