I did it! I led a fieldtrip! I organized it, and bought tickets, and found parent chaperones, and everything! And I'm happy to report that it went very well. We weren't late and it wasn't the wrong day.
My Earth Science class just began a unit about the moon last Monday, and today we went to see "Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon" at the IMAX theater. In 3D! After a lecture to my kids about being Ambassadors for Christ, and not screaming in the mall, and other things, I found myself yelling right out loud TWICE during the film. It was scary! But fortunately the music was so loud I don't think anyone heard me.
The highlight of the occasion was when a man came into the theater with his microphone before the show, and asked for all group leaders to report to the concession stand. HA! That was ME! It felt so strange to get up and walk past the two chaperones, who were much older than I, and go say I was in charge of the whole shebang. My word. What a power trip:)
My kids really enjoyed the show. I wish I'd had a camera to take a picture of them sitting all in a row with ridiculously large glasses on. So cute.
One last thing: I found out, half way up the escalator, that one of my girls has a fear of heights to such a degree that she never takes escalators - always elevators. I held on to her for the rest of the way up. She made it fine. I was glad.
Happy almost weekend!
6 comments:
Um, so, did you read about the military guy from NH who DIED when he fell off the escalator at Providence Place about two weeks ago??? It was in the Union Leader! Partway down from the third floor to the second, he decided to jump on the up escalator, and managed to hang on till he got to the top and fell down dead. You should have screamed THAT to your students at the mall!
Here's the whole story:
http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/9to5/archives/2006/01/post_36.html
http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/9to5/archives/
2006/01/post_36.html
thats so sad! But way to go Drewy on your first successful field trip!
How come you constantly find yourself wishing you had a camera for moments at school and you don't get a camera for school?
But it sounds fun...and aren't the stairs in the IMAX not good for someone with a fear of heights?
Well, don't you feel all grown up now? :) Don't let them know the TRUTH, lol...
I remember the first field trip I was responsible for at the Shelter; I took some girls to pick apples in an orchard...And then I unwittingly dropped the keys to the van... in the middle of acres and acres of apple trees! Fortunately, we found them within ten minutes or so...but you can just imagine how I felt. As soon as we got back the girls blurted out the whole story to my boss and I wanted to shrink into nothingness. But, thankfully, my boss just laughed.
Post a Comment