Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Gasp!

Wonderful, wonderful day today: GA Aquarium and all. Everyone should go. What incredible fun!

But the real reason for this post is immediate inspiration from the paper I'm grading right now. (Yes, I'm actually being productive.) Penny just came downstairs as I was finishing up a paper, and I was commenting to her that this girl was the queen of run-on sentences. I joked that she averaged one period a paragraph. I thought I was joking until I looked at her closing paragraph and found exactly 2 periods!

So here, my friends, is the prime example of a run-on sentence (the assignment, by the way, was a short historical fiction piece. This story was about working in the mills).

"So with my mother dead I got so mad that without thinking I asked the person in charge to give me better pay or I would quit and before he could answer a few more people came to ask the same question and before I knew it there was a mob around him and me and he yelled, afraid he'd have no workers, "you get a raise of a dollar," and after that I was more happy than ever before because I could support my sister and myself and still have a little more money and with the money I bought a better house that wasn't as polluted."

Whew! And there you have it!

3 comments:

Booker said...

Move over Paul...

Shay Dawg said...

Oh those dreaded run on sentences! I'm so bad with that but my last 2 english classes have helped me alot. My last teacher was a real stickler with run ons. If we had just one in our essay that costs us a whole letter grade drop. So thats when my dad comes to my rescue.

Claire said...

WOW. I love the part at the end about how she was able to buy a better house that was not "AS POLLUTED." HAH! Uh, yeah, it was still pretty polluted...but not AS polluted as the old one!