No, cool as they were, the sea dragons did not offer welding lessons. This is Melissa, back in the frigid north while Andrea basks in the glorious warm fuzzies of a GA vacation. But Monday's high is supposed to be 20 degrees, so she should be consoled that she won't have missed much :). Thankfully I've been too busy this week at school to have to spend too many hours in the deathly silence of her non-presence.
What did I do at school, you may ask (having no idea since you skipped over the above title)? Well, I'll tell you! I WELDED things! WOOOOOOO!!! I feel like I'm in that movie that was mentioned in some random midweek meeting video series in Bible School, which ended up being an answer that Claire got in a trivial pursuit game -- something about a woman welder who was also a ballerina or something (the more I write, the more this sounds like some very strange dream...or a very bad speech. Help me, Claire!). Anyway. yes. We've been making a bunch of quick models in my 3-Dimensional Synthesis class, but now we're moving on to a four-foot sculpture. Apparently the direction I chose in the models will translate best into steel rods and thick wire mesh. Joy. I was quite skeptical at first, but I picked up some short rods from Home Depot (haha... Despot... B&C, you're awesome) and pretended I knew what I was doing in the huge and intimidating Sculpture Room. I rolled them into curves on some steel-roller-machine, and then I got my welding lesson. It was hard... but I persevered. I was comforted by the story my prof. told about a girl who caught on fire and didn't realize it (and was thus confused when her professor started hitting her). hmmm... And it was a little freaky having to stand behind a curtain and wear a pitch-black helmet to avoid blindness. And I kept messing up, and the machine kept jamming, and my professor kept having to fix it (most of the time it wasn't my fault, I was relieved to find). But once it finally started working again it was so comparitively easy that I picked it up pretty fast. I got some sweet beads going, let me tell you (that's a little insider welder language there...). Then I got to actually start welding my sculpture, and now I'm excited. It really works! I can make things out of steel! Now that I'm fully empowered, there's no going back. I have six or so twelve-foot rods just waiting to be bent and welded into submission. I will be holding a drawing for potential buyers of my finished product (No, it won't look like anything except steel rods and wire... but oh, what tremendous forms and activation of space! :).
Okay, that's all I want to write about that.
16 comments:
Welding is awesome! There's just sooooo much a person can do if he/she can weld that never could be dreamed of before---dream on, Mel.
I'm still in awe of your weldingness. Did you write that your finished product can be sold?? Ifs that's true, thats so cool!! Did I read it right?? Happy Sabayoth.
I think the movie is Flashdance...I'm not sure if it's one that I watched before or after I regained a conscience, so I'm not sure if I recommend it or not. And congrats on the welding! Sounds like fun to me!
1-flashdance=don't watch :-)
2-you sound empowered. and scary. I'm almost intimidated, heh, heh, heh...
Can't wait to see the finished product!
Shay-- well... you can buy it if you want, but really it was just a bit of verbal irony. I doubt anyone will want it (I still don't really know what in the world it's going to look like myself). Happy Shabaaoth yourself.
mary and D-- thanks for the warning; fear not -- I haven't seen it.
Yes- what are the odds of learning something from Tim Kimmel's Little House on the Freeway series that would help me in the Entertainment portion of Trivial Pursuit!!?? You made me laugh so hard; I had totally forgotten about that....Ah...memories...
No two welding art students are not on fire! That story about the girl being pummeled by her professor made me laugh aloud...
Enjoy the adventure - exploring metal, art, expression, etc.
Wow! This construction worker is very impressed! Nice job on the welding. Maybe sometime I'll have to come down and you can teach me how to do it :)
people learn things from those mid-week meeting videos?
Has your dad asked to fix up any of his cars before they are sold?
did you also have to wear a heavy black smock to protect from sparks and what not?
interesting...please post a pic. of your finished product if you can. I'm curious as to what it will look like. I know what a "bead" is. My dad pulls out his welding gun sometimes... but it's a little gun and he doesn't have to wear glasses... I think it's the same thing. cept smaller scale. He's used it before to fix glasses...etc... yeah to art!
I learned to weld in vocational class!!! Thanks, Mr. P! It was loads of fun, too. Wow, that was so long ago.
melo-- right now my Uncle Dave is the official B&B welder, but he's feeling the pressure of competition... and I don't have a cool smock, just long sleeves and desperate prayers :)
Is some saying my cars need welding????
that would be a resounding "AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!"
Your title is wonderful! It brings to mind a mental image of you, tied to the mast of a sailboat, wearing goggles & a smock, and waving a welding torch...crying out to the masses...
Post a Comment