Thursday, March 02, 2006

Snow Driving


1 hour and 50 minutes after leaving school, I pulled relievedly into my spot at home. And you know what I noticed today? New England drivers may have bad reputations, but they sure get polite in the snow. Nobody is tailgating, everyone uses blinkers, and everyone is going 15 or 20 under the speed limit. My, my. The southerners would fit right in!

Of course, the southerners might not care for the whole slippery roads, barely making it up that hill after the full stop at the bottom, ice on the windshield wipers thing. Even I, northerner that I am, don't like too much of that. But I have a fairly relaxed approach. I stop at Dunkin Donuts, get a hot chocolate, turn on some music or sports radio (I'm becoming such a fan!), and settle in for a long, slow ride. Any aggressive tendencies I may be accused of in fair weather flee, and I become a right lane driver. Until the right lane gets too slow, of course. But I'm perfectly content to take twice as long getting home.

Part of this relaxed attitude has to do with the close encounter between my car and the guard rails on both sides of the road a couple of winters ago. I don't take snow lightly - and ice I take even less lightly. At the same time, I'm not scared about driving in snow. I have to be an authentic New Englander, after all. It's just all about taking it slow and leaving room for the car ahead.

So there is your tutorial, and more, on snow driving. And now, let's hear it for the remote possibility of a snow day!

4 comments:

Booker said...

You know what is better than just DD hot chocolate? A dunkacino with a shot of Espresso. Nothing like chocolate, coffee and extra caffiene to make one feel good about just about anything :-)

Brenda Jo said...

Here's a tutorial on southern driving: The southern driver takes pride in their good manners. Therefore, merging agressively in front of a southern belle, for instance, is considered to be lower than low-class. [I prayed down fiery remorse on her head.]

TripleNine said...

Nice Pic. Did you take it, or just rip it off from someone else? :)

It is amazing how getting behind the wheel can change people.

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Havin' lived in the north country fer a good spell---Ol' 'Lanche and I do most heartily agree thet takin' it easy like when there's snow on the ground is one o' them thar gotta do things! In fact Ol' 'Lanche prefers ta have different shoes on when it gets slippery like... ...he'd like me to mention thet he wouldn't turn down a good donut anytime!!! 8~)