Saturday, June 17, 2006

Day 4: Why the Problems of the World Can't be Solved by Talking

Short Answer:

Because not even the problems between two people can always be solved by talking. How could 6 billion even remotely think of talking it all out?

Long Answer:

When our church was undergoing some, er, tension, back in the mid 90s or so, I had this dream of peace. I would just go up to Pastor X (whoever he may have been) and say "Hey, let's talk..." I would explain how things stood, he would see the light, and all would be well! Sigh. I never did get the opportunity to do so. So much for my saving of the day.

And yet, somehow methinks a little sit-down with all the Pastors Xs in the world would have done little. Because no matter how much I talk, or how loudly, people still have this irritating habit of having their own opinions! And (gasp) talking to me in reply! There was nothing in my scheme of saving the world that included a dialogue. I talk, they see the light, world saved. It's very simple. Bother these people with their own opinions! Obviously what this world needs more of is totalitarian dictatorship. By me of course. Under anyone else disaster would ensue.

Hm. My days of teaching US Government are wafting back to me from the mists of the past. Perhaps a totalitarian dictatorship is not the best plan. Even though I would be an awe-inspiring dictator, I'm sure.

Okay, Plan B: NOBODY should talk about ANYTHING! We should all adopt the "Ostrich Mentality." If there's a problem, ignore it. Bury your head in the sand. You know, the more I learn about the Victorians the more I like them. Not only was Tennyson among them (moment of reverent silence), but they had this method of surviving the tensions of the times which I find refreshing: Muddle Through. Just keep on going, not addressing the tension, and probably somehow things will work out. Or if they don't, at least the results may be ignorable.

There. I think I've solved it. If the problems in the world can't be solved by talking or by dictatorship clearly ostriching is the way to go. Rest easy, dear readers. I have found the answer.

4 comments:

Claire said...

A very interesting post. I think I am tempted to be an ostrich too much. Either that or fall into the other ditch of stating my opinion for all to hear and forcing them to adopt it.

ANDREA FOR DICTATOR! I think that's a marvelous idea. I can't think of any person who would be more benign in that exalted post.

Anonymous said...

Your short answer says it all. But the long answer was more fun to read : )

CKS said...

Now all you need is the Ring of power, and, unlike Galadriel who foolishly rejected it and decided to fade into the West, we could have a Queen. Surely you would only use it for good! And there would be no problems in the world.

Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I favor the dictatorship otherwise described as a Benevolent Monarchy as in when Jesus is back!!! It's just so very hard to find amiable agreement with folks when we all are standing and looking at situations from so many different perspectives... ...I suppose careful listening to each other would help but that ain't all that would be needed...