Okay, this post isn't really about 24. But MAN is that show intense. We have only two episodes left of season one... AAHHHHH!!!
What this post is really about is this: try to remember waaaay back to 7th grade. What was your favorite book of those you had to read in school? Or 8th grade? Or 9th? In the next few days I'm hoping to finalize the list of books we'll be reading in the lower grades, and I'd love some suggestions. I can only remember a couple of the books I read then, but I figure that if all of you remember one or two, I'll have quite a list to work from...
So how about it? What books did you enjoy as a junior high school student?
10 comments:
Hmmm... ...I hate to admit it but it's been way too long a time ago---I just don't remember any at all...
The Scarlet Pimpernel was my favorite book waaaaaaaay back then.
Ryan's favorite book might be A Tale of Two Cities, he says. That or LOTR.
And yes, 24 is intense. That is the perfect word for it. :)
The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher. Fantastic scifi for the younger group.
The White Mountains
City of Gold & Lead
The Pool of Fire
Roald Dahl is good for those who aren't into the scifi theme :-)
[the links take you to Amazon's reviews]
Tough to remember what I read when, but the Redwall series by Brian Jaques was a favorite right about then. Also the easier classics, Three musketeer, phantom of the opera, and the like.
Let me think about this, War and Peace? I think I need to reread it, it's been so long since I read it...
For real, well, for real you don't really need to know my favorite because I already gave it to you at girls' week.
Isn't 24 (I was going to say wonderful but that just didn't sound right.) uh, gripping?
-from AHS's blog:
Then what DO you say she did?
I read Les Miserables (somewhat abridged but still like 800+ pages) in fifth or sixth grade. Other than that I can't remember much of my reading material.
But here are some ideas:
Mark Twain...Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, The Prince and the Pauper, selections from Innocents Abroad...
Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie (never too early to start em!)
L.M. Montgomery--The Story Girl and the Golden Road are pretty good, besides the famous ones.
I used to read lots of We Were There books, but I think those are for younger children...great historical fiction that follow children all through the major events of history; might be good for as old as fifth grade.
Ralph Moody...Little Britches.
Gene Stratton Porter! Dad read Freckles to us, and it has a huge warm spot in my heart...beautiful story, good values, etc.
Biographies. I think I had to read those in junior high. Find someone good like Eric Liddell.
I know G.A. Henty books were the rage for a while. Clyde and Kayla read them. Mom didn't start buying them till I was out of school, I think, so I don't have much firsthand experience.
Mrs. Pollifax...pretty sure I started those in junior high.
You should probably be sure they're properly educated about Tintin books, too.
Maybe throw in "Conqering and to Conquer" for some light comic relief. :-)
D - I wrote it!
All - GREAT input! Thank you!
Anyone else: feel free to add more!
Ditto to Sherlock Holmes. I loved those stories! And Mark Twain was good too.
I love excuses to pull out my book journal!
Some books I loved 7th through 9th, maybe give or take a year:
The Last of the Mohicans
Ivanhoe
Carry on, Mr. Bowditch
Michael Strogoff by Jules Verne
Scottish Chiefs
Kim by Kipling
Anne of Green Gables
Louisa May Alcott's books
Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
Father Brown mysteries
Cheaper by the Dozen
The list goes on...
Post a Comment