Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Weeohd!

The other night I needed a book (I hadn't really brought vacation books on our vacation - a serious blunder), so I rummaged in Aunt Laura's attic and found one I'd never read. I forget what the name and author are (it's waaaaay upstairs, and heaven forbid I leave the couch for investigative research), so sorry about that. But anyway, I picked it up and started to read and it was the weirdest thing. The book kept reminding me of myself!

It wasn't a particular character - it was more the author. She put in things that sounded so much like me. For instance, she had a character who got really mad when he walked outside and felt the cold air. That's ME! When I walked out on the way to school early early in the morning, and was hit by 20 below winds, I just wanted to punch something. Angrily.

And there was also the dislike of talking on the telephone - an inability to really communicate without being able to see the other person. Yup. That's me! Hate phones.

And then there was the guy who was feeling annoyed because he'd figured out the world's most beautiful word the night before and he'd forgotten it. I love beautiful sounding words! I've never figured out the world's most beautiful before, but if I did I'd surely forget it (if I didn't write it down immediately).

It's kind of uncanny, really. So many peculiar little things that made me think of me. That doesn't happen very often. I think there was another thing, too. And ALL of that was just in chapter one. Phew! At this rate, the depths of my soul will be in chapter 12!

8 comments:

Claire said...

I LOVE books like that but they also make me feel a little annoyed because maybe I could have come up with that very thing to say someday when I write a book!! Rrgh. I better get busy writing that book before all my genius ideas that I don't know I have are gone.

I HATE PHONES TOO! I feel so validated to have someone else feel that way. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only female who doesn't like talking on the phone.

Claire said...

Oh- I LOVED your title too! Somehow I could just HEAR you saying it!

Anonymous said...

According to my literature professor in college, the most pleasant sounding English word is "syphilis".

Don't ask me why.

Amy said...

So does anyone know what "syphilis" means? if so "do tell". :)

Kristi said...

Isn't it a disease?

Shay Dawg said...

How cool is that? Happy vacation by the way. I could hear you say your title too. That was happy.

drewey fern said...

Um, yes, let's just say it's a not very nice disease.

Which brings to mind the word encephalitis - another disease that has a pretty name. Nice.

Somehow I think the definition is getting in the way of the enjoyment...

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember my 11th grade English teacher telling us that "cellar door" was thought by some famous personage to be the most beautiful sound in the English language. Try it, you'll see.

And I also remember a quote which was posted near the checkout at the dear old Building Center, (heaven knows why)which I adored: "Summer afternoon, summer afternoon -- the two most beautiful words in the English language."

I'm so sorry I can't remember who said it, or even if that is the exact quote, and I can't seem to locate my quote book at the moment to confirm, but it was something like that anyway. I rather suspect those words were chosen more for their meaning than their sound, but still...