Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Presents!

Last year I made gift bags for my students for Christmas. Ahhhh! Excessive! And totally non-repeatable. I knew that I needed to find something small and cheap that I could do this year and every year in the future. But what? And then Aunt Laura and/or Melissa suggested bookmarks. PERFECT! I am, after all, a teacher of BOOKS.

So last night and today I've been working on them. They are individualized by class, and each have a picture and quotes relevant (for the most part) to the book we've been reading. I'm so happy with them! I'm going to print them off, and take them to Staples for laminating tomorrow.

Hurrah for cheap, repeatable, and yet meaningful! I'm especially happy with the Hamlet ones. Ooooh - and the Hobbit ones. Oh, and the Jane Eyre ones. Right. I like them all.

I'm especially pleased with the twist I put on the Hobbit ones, though, so I'll elaborate. There's a picture of Bilbo and Gandalf at the top (thanks, google images) and then there is part of one of Bilbo's traveling songs about wandering and coming home. And then there is the verse from Isaiah that talks about God leading the blind on paths they know not of, and making the darkness light before them. Yay!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Pretty creative! That's a great idea!

Anonymous said...

good for you. I'd never do that for a bunch of little kids, not even close :-)

Claire said...

Yes, somehow the idea of DJ making bookmarks for children is incongruous in the extreme...

TripleNine said...

Good for you! Though personally I'm not much of a gift giver, I still applaud you.