Sunday, December 10, 2006

Happy Christmas Season!

I LOVE the Christmas season, and I love it more and more as I more and more comprehend the incredible significance of what it stands for. Emmanuel: God with us. What an amazing – staggering – life-changing reality!

Yesterday I read in Colossians: “To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.”

Jesus’ birth means Christ in us, salvation, and a Savior who understands the human condition, who has made the way of escape from that “condition” to eternal rightness and perfection. Amazing truth!

I still remember and am blessed by Amy’s 9:00 hour message during our third year: Jesus was willing to come to live on “this mortal coil” (quoted from Hamlet! Amy is incredible…) with all of its “slings and arrows of outrageous fortune” for our sakes. He lived through it. He understands it. He died in it. And He won the victory over it.

He “counted not the being on an equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in likeness of men.”

Almighty God, Love Himself, would not allow mankind to suffer and perish. And Christmas is our yearly reminder that because of this we have a Savior: God with us.

2 comments:

Brenda Jo said...

This is great news, indeed! Your post was so uplifting and has been simmering away in my thoughts for a few days. So...when my friend called today to ask me to find a good verse for her to read at her ladies' dessert & caroling party...I thought of your post. I'm going to send her a slightly edited version for her to read as a devotional (hope you don't mind). It's exciting to pass on the good news!

drewey fern said...

I would be honored, Brenda! Thanks for letting me know.