Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Lessons I've Taught, Etc.

First of all, I just want everyone to know that new blogger and I have a more peaceful relationship now. He hasn't lost any of my posts for quite awhile, and I haven't verbally abused him so much. So that's nice.

Now, for the topic of this post:
I took a day off of work last week to go to the Feast, and the seat-work I left for my 9th graders was to write a mini essay on someone who has influence their lives. This was supposed to tie in to Faria's influence on Dantes in The Count of Monte Cristo. When I returned from the Feast I found that one of the students hadn't been able to decide who to write about, and his classmates had told him to write about MY influence on his life! The results made me laugh out loud:) Here they are:

"Throughout my life I have been influenced greatly by many people in many ways. One person who inspired me greatly is my teacher Miss Murray. She has inspired me mostly in two ways. These two ways were being nice to my friends and to not look at the keyboard.

First, she has influenced me to be nice to my friends. Every day when I teased my friends she would tell me not to and give me a Correction Sheet. By doing this it was like she was trying to show me that “Everything has an equal and opposite reaction” as the great CJ once said. This was like how Faria influenced Dantes because he tried to tell him he shouldn’t kill his betrayers because sooner or later he would get in trouble.

Lastly, my great teacher Miss Murray influenced me to stop looking at the keyboard while typing. This has influenced me greatly and has made my grade constantly rise. This relates to how Faria influenced Dantes because the Abbe kept trying to explain that you don’t have to do what you feel like you’re being forced to do. In Dantes’ case however it concerned whether or not he should kill the betrayers or if he should let them live.

In conclusion, my life has been influenced greatly by my teacher Miss Murray. She influenced me to be kind and considerate to the people around me, and to not look at my keyboard while typing. Like the Abbe influenced Dantes, my teacher influenced me. Thank you!"

There you have it, people! You can't get much more inspiring than "Stop looking at the keys!" So, I urge you, continue to inspire those around you not to look while typing. You never know when those words will sink in and affect a life forever! Be encouraged! :)

And now, speaking of inspiring, I leave you with some pictures of people I love and admire for being wonderful people and wonderful parents!

6 comments:

lis said...

Forget content: that essay shows evidence of a very careful teacher!

:O)

And I loved, loved, loved the pics! David has grown! Of course I shouldn't be surprised - that's what babies do. But I kinda forget :O)

KJ said...

hehehe... great essay :)
And thanks for the pictures: SO beautiful! :)

Aaron said...

Very inspiring, indeed! :)

So Faria was the old guy Dantes met in prison? I couldn't remember the name, several years having passed since I read the (grand-and-glorious) book or even watched the (dumb-and-stupid) movie, but that was my conclusion after reading your student's essay.

You mean you're not supposed to look at the keyboard!?!?!?!? <:0
;)

Booker said...

oh if only I had students to encourage me like that in the dark times of my soul!

;-)

TripleNine said...

Wow, I guess it has been a while since I've checked in here. Thanks again for taking time off to give your testimony.

I know it's late, but Happy Birthday Melissa. (Sorry I forgot). Hope you had a great day.

CKS said...

My, my, how Gretchen has grown!

I love how I know your ninth-grade class now...