Saturday, March 31, 2007

Picture of a Stranger

Ohhhhh boy. All day long I was wondering how on EARTH I was going to get a picture of a stranger. Good grief, what a scary proposition! And my day was going to consist of "go straight to school, go straight from school to Fairwood." Not a lot of stranger material there. Well, everyone on the road... So I have some really pathetic shots of people in the drive-through at Dunkin Donuts, some kid riding his bike across traffic, and basically things that showed my intimidation at the thought of approaching a stranger with camera in hand.

Thus it was that I found myself on the way to Fairwood without a good stranger picture. But I had my camera in my lap as I drove, just in case... As I was approaching the NH line, I saw a couple of girls broken down beside the road. Hm, thought I, this is probably at least as good as the DD drive through picture. So I surreptitiously held my camera out beside me and took a picture as I rolled to a stop at the red light. I clicked the little button to see how my un-aimed shot worked. Here is what I saw:

(I recommend aiming. The results are generally more satisfactory.)

Suddenly my peripheral vision caught the two girls approaching my car. I figured they were going to ask if they could use my phone or something...

Until I realized it was MELISSA AND SARA!!! They, too, were driving to Fairwood, and Sara's coolant was leaking profusely due to (we suspect) a burst hose, which is why they were stopped. Oy vay! So I dodged over to the side with them. I had "happened" to drive by about two minutes after they stopped... and they had "happened" to notice me (which is a jolly good thing, since I just saw "two girls broken down." Oh my word - I know I'm not observant, but this is a BIT MUCH!).

Shortly a policeman pulled up to help, and I saw my golden opportunity. I mean, it doesn't get much more golden than that! So, Sara dear, I'm really sorry about your car and all (luckily she had great AAA and got a free tow to Fairwood!), but THANK YOU for allowing me a legitimate picture of a stranger!

And so, I submit my picture of a stranger (sorry it's a bit late...):
a

7 comments:

lis said...

Wow, what a great story! Now I don't feel so bad about being a bit spacy. :O)

And your second stranger pic is really cool!

Booker said...

My goodness, abandoning your own cousins? What is next, cannibalism? :-)

ljm said...

HA, what a great story! I laughed and laughed. True dedication...

Mrs. RF said...

Wow...love the story...and the pics...I got my chuckle for the day. Isn't His timing incredible!?!?!

Aaron said...

That is so funny! I opened the picture to see it better and did a double take. What a great story! AND, the police man picture is awesome. :)

KJ said...

Marvelous m'dear! Simply Maaavelous!

Kate said...

okay THAT was funny!!! SO funny I got Megan to come read it over my shoulder and she gave the most satisfactory burst of laughter! :-)