Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thoughts While Driving Home

Spring is such a surprise - like today when I got into my car and discovered that I wasn't shivering as I drove out of the school's driveway!

Motorcycles started emerging, and I enjoyed, as I have before, the fact that people on motorcycles wave to other people on motorcycles whether they know them or not. I just think that is the coolest thing! If I rode a motorcycle people would think I was not all there, because I'd be driving down the road grinning like an idiot since I'd just waved to some stranger on a motorcycle. I was grinning like an idiot in my car as it was, but at least people can't see you as well when you're in a car. That's the only reason I don't have a motorcycle, of course.

It's interesting how there are those little subcultures - subcultures that create the instant bond moment. It reminded me of when Amy, Lindsay, and I were in San Francisco and saw a Red Sox shirt walk by. (Well, it was a guy in a Red Sox shirt, actually.) What an instant connection! A connection that KJ has attested to more than once since going down south.

You know what's weird? The word "mouse" when used to mean a computer mouse, and the word "fly" when used to mean a fly ball in baseball. Want to know why? Because when they are put into other forms, they don't match up with the word "mouse" as in scurrying rodent or "fly" as in take to the air. You would never talk about computer mice. It has to be mouses. And you don't say that a baseball player flew out, you say he flied out. WEIRD, HUH?! I was pretty cooled out by it. There must be other words like that, but these two definitely stand out.

Those were the coolest things I thought about on my way home today.

Speaking of my commute, here is a picture I took of the way cool sky on one recent trip home:

2 comments:

Booker said...

Motorcycles. Oh yes. I am waiting for constant 60 degree weather myself. No hardy biker here :-)

Linds said...

Oooh - I loved that moment in SF!!