I just finished playing a killer game of Draw One with Sara and Melissa... on the PORCH! It is SO beautiful out right now! It was so invigorating to be out in the air and the breeze and the warm smellingness. Wow. When I'm in the middle of winter I kind of forget how liberating warm weather is.
This week my 7-12 graders went on a field trip! It was good, and educational, and all of that, but my favorite part was when we'd finished the State House tour and had some time to kill and I led them in games of Moose and Mafia. They are such a fun group! (By the way, the RI state house is unbelievably stunning. I got lots o' pics, of course.)
In other news, one of my 9th graders, inspired by Longfellow's birthday (and the prospect of extra credit), wrote a hilarious poem about the correction sheets I pass out to my students when they misbehave. I present to you now, with pride and giggles (makes sure not to miss the last stanza):
The Blast Correction Sheet
Through many a BLAST correction sheet,
Many eyes have to meet.
Pens are scratching,
Answers matching,
Excelsior!
The teacher smirks with evil demeanor,
Is it possible to be meaner?
Boys are moaning
Girls are groaning.
Excelsior!
Talk out loud, lean in your chair,
A correction sheet will be there!
Right on your desk,
Why even ask?
Excelsior!
Another Sheet! The pressure’s pressin’
Don’t you think you’ve learned your lesson.
So chew your gum,
And you’ll get one!
Excelsior!
Do not lift then stomp your feet
Or else you’ll get that dreaded sheet.
You can’t help but bear,
To shred and tear!
Excelsior!
But do not tear! my angry Brother,
Or else you will deserve another!
So do not pout,
But write it out.
Excelsior!
The teacher is another matter,
Her menacing chuckle makes you madder!
She thinks it’s neat,
To hand out sheets!
Excelsior!
Her eyes are burning like wildfire,
She smiles teeth like angry tiger.
She ruins all fun,
For everyone!
Excelsior!
Pencils screech upon the paper,
Time drags slowly like a vapor.
Hearts are in pain,
Students in vain.
Excelsior!
It seems that I have plagiarized,
Something that Longfellow despised.
But go ahead,
Cause He is dead!
Excelsior!
This week my 7-12 graders went on a field trip! It was good, and educational, and all of that, but my favorite part was when we'd finished the State House tour and had some time to kill and I led them in games of Moose and Mafia. They are such a fun group! (By the way, the RI state house is unbelievably stunning. I got lots o' pics, of course.)
In other news, one of my 9th graders, inspired by Longfellow's birthday (and the prospect of extra credit), wrote a hilarious poem about the correction sheets I pass out to my students when they misbehave. I present to you now, with pride and giggles (makes sure not to miss the last stanza):
The Blast Correction Sheet
Through many a BLAST correction sheet,
Many eyes have to meet.
Pens are scratching,
Answers matching,
Excelsior!
The teacher smirks with evil demeanor,
Is it possible to be meaner?
Boys are moaning
Girls are groaning.
Excelsior!
Talk out loud, lean in your chair,
A correction sheet will be there!
Right on your desk,
Why even ask?
Excelsior!
Another Sheet! The pressure’s pressin’
Don’t you think you’ve learned your lesson.
So chew your gum,
And you’ll get one!
Excelsior!
Do not lift then stomp your feet
Or else you’ll get that dreaded sheet.
You can’t help but bear,
To shred and tear!
Excelsior!
But do not tear! my angry Brother,
Or else you will deserve another!
So do not pout,
But write it out.
Excelsior!
The teacher is another matter,
Her menacing chuckle makes you madder!
She thinks it’s neat,
To hand out sheets!
Excelsior!
Her eyes are burning like wildfire,
She smiles teeth like angry tiger.
She ruins all fun,
For everyone!
Excelsior!
Pencils screech upon the paper,
Time drags slowly like a vapor.
Hearts are in pain,
Students in vain.
Excelsior!
It seems that I have plagiarized,
Something that Longfellow despised.
But go ahead,
Cause He is dead!
Excelsior!
8 comments:
ok, some kid has WAY to much time on their hands :-D
Haha! That poem is so funny! Do you really smirk at your students with an evil demeanor? :)
Wow! I'm so impressed! That was great, and I'm glad you're enjoying nice weather.... it's rainy here today :(
Yes, I am glad you could be outside enjoying some good weather! Yeah for spring!
That poem is HILARIOUS! What fun! I love the line that goes something like this: She smiles teeth like angry tiger. Sounds like it is meant to be spoken in broken English. Yes- that last paragraph is a doozy...That is a keeper for the ages.
A keeper indeed! And to think that you inspired it all!
(I can't imagine you as a mean teacher) :O)
What an imaginative spin on a great old poem -- hat's off to your student! May I add a stanza of my own in honor of your young protege:
At school's end the harried teacher found
A student under a paper mound
Still clutching with his hand so hard
a correction sheet with the single word
Excelsior!
I LOVE IT, John! :)
Post a Comment