The CD player in my room, after serving me valiantly for many and many a year, has pretty much given up the ghost. I can coax music out of it if I reallly want to, but usually it's not worth it. And now that I have a laptop I hardly miss it. My room is filled with the strains of iTunes or Pandora and all is well. The result, though, is that I haven't really listened to classical music in ages. My iTunes purchases are more along the celtic/folk lines, and my favorite Pandora station is "Lisa Kelly" (from the group Celtic Woman).
This morning, however, I really felt like some music with depth. So I switched my clock radio from 96.9 (Boston talk - what a way to wake up in the morning!) to WGBH Boston where I was greeted with the familiar strains of Mozart. I smiled. Good ol' Mozart. And NOW I'm listening to Grieg's piano concerto! It's like getting together with my oldest and best friends. "Ah, Grieg dear, how AHH you? Mozart, it's been forEVah!" I enjoy my celtic/folk stuff, but this music is engraved on my soul, and has been since childhood. I know this music. It's part of me. It's like that going home feeling, where you breath more deeply and everything seems to fit.
Ahhhhh Grieg.
4 comments:
You are too funny: ( "...it's been forEVAh...") I can just see you, dressed to the nines ( where did that saying come from?), graciously greeting these illustrious composers, who are all charming skeletons bedecked with cobwebs etc, at some fancy dinner party.
I feel the same way about Chopin and my childhood. Weyowd.
I know what you mean! It's just so refreshing sometimes to spend some quality time with some quality music that feeds the soul :)
Yeah, laptops are THE best. Although one thing you might want to look into for music purposes is a small MP3 player that you stick a USB drive (I think that's what it's called) in. I've got one that you can put like 5 CD's worth of music on.
"Ahhhhh Grieg." Amen! :)
Post a Comment