This past week Dr. Delasanta, whom I often referred to as "Dr. Delasanta-my-favorite-professor," passed away. He had been in poor health for quite awhile, so it wasn't a huge surprise or anything, but it is quite a profound loss to all who knew him.He was a brilliant man. Talk about someone who knew literature! He scorned the post-modern way of interpreting literature (as in, what does it say to YOU? Forget what the author meant...) and went with the old technique of figuring out what it actually means.
I had him for two classes: Western Civilization and Literature of Spiritual Crisis. Both classes impacted me, the former intellectually and the latter in deeper ways. But the main force there was his teaching - I trusted him, and I was inspired by his own obvious love for the material.
But I got to know Dr. Delasanta best through working for him. I was his "office assistant" for three years, doing photocopying, filing, and greeting. Most of the time I just did homework while I sat in the outer office. It was the perfect college job:)
But it was greatly enhanced by the fact that I could chat with him, and overhear his conversations with others. I was amazed over and over at the thoughtful discussions going on in that inner office. And it was through hearing him on the phone one day that I learned the joke: "Descartes walked into a McDonald's and ordered a hamburger. 'You want fries with that?' the cashier asked. 'I think not,' said Descartes. And he disappeared." I sat there for about five minutes until I finally got it, and then I thought it was HILARIOUS!
But perhaps what impresses me most about his life is the way he was able to be so brilliant, and yet not make those around him feel dumb. He made me feel smart! That's a gift. He was not high-handed in his scholasticism. I was sitting in the outer office while he was grading Western Civ exams - the final exam after two years. Oy vay - talk about pressure! But he suddenly shouted out to me, "Andrea!" I zipped in. "You GET it! Not everyone gets it, but you GET IT!" I floated around for the rest of the day.
His philosophy about teaching was (and I quote): "Without first having experienced the joy of learning, the teacher cannot reduplicate that state of academic grace for his or her own students. The trick is to generate gladness and then sustain it." He absolutely did that in his classroom, and even out of it.
Dr. Delasanta was a good man. He was a devout Catholic, and lived his life accordingly. I was talking with Mom about going to the funeral, and wondering how hopeful a Catholic funeral would be, if they believe the soul is now suffering in Purgatory... And then I suddenly said, "What a pleasant surprise for Dr. Delasanta!" Imagine thinking you're going to Purgatory, and suddenly finding yourself in Heaven! That made me happy:)
So today I want to honor a great man who had such an impact on my life. It's hard to encapsulate it here, really, but I loved him and respected him, and I'm so much looking forward to seeing him again so I can tell him so in words that will be less faltering than these are.
4 comments:
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Good job, Fern! And you also "got" his teaching philosophy, for you have "experienced the joy of learning," and are now doing a great job of "reduplicating that state of academic grace" to your students!
He looks like the kind of person one would want for a professor! Everyone should have an older mentor like that in their life. One of my biggest mentors was a Catholic, too.
Andrea, this was a wonderful post. Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I'd forgotten about that joke--that was great, and it brought back the memory of him laughing. I can just hear him now! He was a wonderful man, and you already know how thankful I am for him, and how he enriched my whole PC experience. Thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment