I am having SUCH a great Spring Break! Yippee! I came into it without a ton of school stuff I needed to accomplish... but just enough to do that I wouldn't risk stagnation. Perfect.
A lot of the things on my list involved non-school obligations - the kind of thing I'd never really get done while lesson plans were priority #1. So I went to get my car registered and inspected (yes, yes, I know my birthmonth is December. Let's not talk about my horrific memory and absence of all organization skills. And let's not go into detail about how another thing on my list of things to do was "pay that ticket..."), I got tons of pictures developed (249, to be exact...), I made a return to a store (I'm so bad at multi-tasking while teaching, and those kind of things loom o'er me - hurrah for vacation!), I got some lining material to go with my dress that I bought for Matt's wedding (in case he actually sends out the invitations - hee hee hee), and today I went for an eye exam and ordered new glasses.
The eye exam was funny. I forgot how they shine incredibly bright lights in your eyes, and ask you not to blink while they do so. I forgot about the tears streaming down my face. I forgot that they say "okay, open your eyes nice and wide" and then POKE THEM with strange blue sticks of light. I felt strangely (Katie, brace yourself) like I was in the Matrix or something. I mean really! I'm all stuck into this weird contraption where my head is locked in, and then (Claire, brace yourself) slowly, slowly, this blue wand of light comes closer and closer until PONK it makes ever-so-slight contact with your eye. I wonder if he's ever had anyone jump up screaming "What are you DOING?!?!" That would be awesome. Sometime when I'm older and all my inhibitions are gone (another advantage to getting older, Rachel!), perhaps I'll try it. Then again, while inhibitions may depart, Victorian ideas of propriety, I think, will always be with me.
And I'm having great opportunities for enjoying my dear family (oo! Like when Shawn and Gretchen and the boys came zipping into the driveway, poured into the house, and filled the home with little boys' incredibly excited shouting of the news that the bridge at the golf course had collapsed!!! Dad and I - the only ones home - jumped into the car with them and whizzed down to see this great sight. Impressive!), and enjoying friends (I played some of the best vball in AGES last night - it was SO much fun - complete with two games of doubles with Craig against Shawn and Kayla - totally fun!) relaxing, and reading, and even doing Sudoku with Mom! What a great invention Spring Break is. May it ever be so!
10 comments:
Hurray for Spring Break! So glad to hear the update of all the good things happening. The bridge collapsed?! Well good thing they closed down the road after all then!
Wait- the bridge ON the golf course- or the bridge NEXT TO the golf course, as in Lake Rd...?
I had an eye exam recently and it was a real struggle with that evil ol' blue wandy thing. MAN! I could feel myself shrinking back ... not to perdition...but just shrinking in general.
Glad you're having a good break...it's such a great feeling to get all those little to-do's off your list.
so how's the bridge down on charcoal road doing?
Aaagh! I didn't realize your break was THIS week. Otherwise I would have brought 24 Season Four over for you to borrow. Oh well, it sounds like you're finding plenty of entertainment anyway!
Ummm.... I forgot to exclaim about your pictures:
249?!?! You're CRAZY! But I can't wait to see them :)
:-)
Happy break! I am so glad.
It's the bridge on Lake Road! The main one that we all drive over. The one on Charcoal is fine, thankfully, or we'd all be forced to go waaaaaaay around...
I'm jealous. Spring break? Volleyball? Broken bridges? It all sounds so nice. :)
Oh my word! I laughed so much during the whole paragraph about the eye exam. I could just picture the whole scenario of someone suddenly shouting out "HEY! What are you doing!?!?!?!" Oh my word...
Post a Comment