I'm sure you've all heard that saying "It's like riding a bike; once you learn how you never forget." Well, this post reminds me of that. It's about a subject that's closely related to bike riding. Because recently I got my BIKE out and RODE it! Ya, first time in years... SO MUCH FUN!
Rediscovering bike riding has been most interesting. Here are some tid-bits:
*It's really disgusting to ride one's bike through a cloud of bugs. There are these little clouds along our road, and there is no clear way to avoid them. I just put my head down and plow through. I hope they don't stay in my hair. Ewwwwwwwwww.
*I don't remember the seat being so hard when I was a kid.
*Biking is way more fun than running. You don't have to kill yourself quite so much, and you get to go much faster. I never rejoicing in the wind when I'm running, but I love it when I'm biking.
*Day One I didn't put my hair back. Consequently, when I checked over my left shoulder to see if a car was coming, all my hair promptly flew into my face. There was a car coming. And I was riding blind. If he'd checked his rear-view mirror he would have found a Chewy-like beast trying hard to avoid the ditch with one hand, while swooping hair out of the way with the other. I have put my hair back every subsequent day.
*I don't have a helmet. And I never wore one growing up so it seems like a foreign concept. But I passed these little kids riding with their helmets and I felt like a millstone should be hung around my neck. I can just imagine their poor, frazzled mother shooting daggers at me, the proof that not EVERYone wears them...
*Also on Day One I didn't wear my glasses. When I called out to Aunt Laurie, who was walking down the road toward me, that I was reliving my childhood, I realized that it wasn't Aunt Laurie after all. It was a stranger whom I knew slightly, and hadn't seen in a loooong time. Ya, that's how I usually greet people like that. I still don't wear my glasses though.
*I REALLY love it! It's exhilarating and childhood-ish and fun! It almost seems like cheating to count it as exercise.
6 comments:
Oh my goodness. How did you survive your first ride, with no glasses, no helmet and no hair restraint[and you have a lot of hair to restrain too]?
God must love you, or something :-)
shoot. your comment was 1 minute before mine...
hehehe... you're so funny! Glad you're enjoying it, and trying to be safer (at least with the hair thing) :)
I LOVED the part about talking to your fake Aunt Laurie. TOO FUNNY!
Yay for bike riding! It's wonderful!
"I'M RELIVING MY CHILDHOOD-...???...!!!!!...blush...Oh well!!!"
I laughed so much at this!
Post a Comment