Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why Mom is My Hero (Reason #13984)

Okay, so if any of you don't know, I'M GOING TO BRITAIN THIS SUMMER!!!

Dad, Mom, KJ and I are taking off on a loooong dreamed of adventure to our mother-land, as it were. [Which reminds me, someone at school keeps saying 'if you would' instead of 'if you will' as in, 'our mother-land, if you will,' and it's driving me crazy. Should I be driven crazy? Or is that a legitimate expression?'] HURRAH!!! The anticipation is so much fun. And I can't wait to actually experience it!

Anyway, Mum decided to hire someone over there to deal with the itinerary and bed and breakfast reservations and stuff. It would save hours of work, and the price was waaaay cheap. So we hired this nice lady, Jill, and told her how much we wanted to spend [or rather, how much we were willing to spend] and where we wanted to go.

After some e-mails back and forth, tweaking of the itinerary, etc etc, Jill finally had to back out. Finding prices as cheap as we wanted was just too big a task. I don't blame her at all. And Mama was actually excited - she'd been kind of wishing she could do it herself!

After all, nothing is as exciting to Mom as a good bargain!

And hunt she did. WHEW! She has more drive than my entire generation put together, I'm pretty sure. Well, excluding Mary, maybe:) [Did everyone see Clyde's graduation cake?!] She spent hours and hours hunting on-line and making phone calls. She practically filled an entire notebook with notes and directions and numbers and descriptions. I am in awe of her.

And you know what the result was? She compared the final price and the price we had given to Jill initially, and she had saved us

Hundreds of Dollars!!!

Now THAT is doing your homework, people! And you know what was awesome about that? We saved hundreds of dollars! Okay, what I should have said was you know what ELSE is awesome about that?

I believe it was that very morning that I actually got concerned enough about my money situation to pray about it. I had the money for England, but I also needed to fund an excursion to California for Matt's wedding! So between the two I was a little concerned. I thought I could probably foot the bill, but it would pretty much clean me out. Soooo, ya. I prayed.

And then that night Mama told me how much I'd need and it was hundreds of dollars less than I'd thought! Thanks to HER!!! They say everything costs either time or money. But in this case I saved money, and spent MOM's time! What a deal! :) But really, I appreciate it so much! Now it's okay if my car breaks down or something. Wait. No. That's not okay. But I would survive it if my car broke down! :)

The point is, I appreciate Mama's relentless pursuit of the best price, and I appreciate God's showing me that He cares about MY finances! It was a pretty awesome moment. The Lord doth provide!

5 comments:

Booker said...

Hahaha. First, car breaking down is NEVER ok, even if you're a kajillionaire.

and glad that you saved Hundreds of Dollars. Maybe you should go on the Geico Commercial, they seem to say that a lot :-)

[or is it someother insurance company? oh well...]

ljm said...

Yeay! How exciting! I remember how A. Sharon helped G raise money for her UK trip with bake sales and such.

Take lots of pictures!

Claire said...

"If you will" is bad enough..."If you WOULD"...? TERRible. ( Actually- in the right context, "if you will" CAN actually be funny...but whatever ... I'm sidetracking myself)

Aunt Sharon is AWESOME. For many reasons. I think I'm going to hire her for some projects to save me hundreds of dollars.

Mrs. RF said...

I agree...she is an awesome lady!!!

And, we are looking forward to lots of pictures.

lis said...

Yeah, she's one of my heroes, too!

And England *sigh* I was in the airport once!

(Nah, I won't complain, I'll go there someday!!)

Happy traveling... I'm teetotally thrilled for you!