Ha! I bet you think this post is going to be about teaching! Why else would I title it "Back in the Saddle Again?" But NO, I am talking about a BIKE saddle! (bike saddle? yeah...) Yes indeedy, folks, I just got back from a glorious bike ride! I never did get my bike up to NH, so I haven't ridden since last school year. And it was just as wonderful! Actually, it was even better in some ways. There weren't any spring swarms of bugs to splat my way through, which is a definite bonus. Also, I didn't mistake my neighbor for my Aunt and say really weird things! And the reason I didn't mistake her?
I got CONTACTS! Yes sir, I've had them for a month and a half now, and the advantages keep piling up. I got them right before going to England, which was awesome. I didn't have to do the whole glasses/camera fight at all! And I could just see everything instantly.
My main reasoning in getting them is that I didn't wear my glasses all the time, but I needed to wear them more than I did. I didn't wear them for things like teaching, because I didn't want to worry about whipping them off to read, or tipping my head funny so the top or bottom of the frames didn't get into my line of sight. I just never took to the full-time glasses scenario. And therefore I had some awkward moments (awkward is an awkward word to spell, by the way - the knowledge of its spelling is kind of a recent acquisition) when people would enter the school at the end of the long hall, and I would know whether to wave vigorously or decorously, because I couldn't see who it was. And sometimes I couldn't see the back row of my class as well as I would have liked.
So in came the contacts! And it's been niiiiiice. Today's bike ride is the latest example. Ooo - another one was playing volleyball w/ contacts. I could actually see the server! What a great advantage.
In case any of you were devastated that this post wasn't about teaching (because who wants to hear about anything else, really?), I'll add now that Teacher Training has been GREAT! After my fear and bellyaching, it's been helpful, inspiring, and edifying. I'm so psyched for the school year! I'm actually starting to catch the vision for teaching being a discipling process as well as an information transfer. That's so cool.
We have a new second grade teacher, and I love her! She's a couple years older than I am, easy to talk to, funny, and she's running a marathon with her husband in October (but I won't hold it against her). It's a joy (and relief) to have a newcomer fit in sooo well.
Okay, gotta go watch the Sox beat the Y***kees!
1 comment:
I'm so happy you can see!!! That's just so good. And how totally wonderful about the new teacher being such a good fit. That's awesome. Praise the Lord!
Love you loads,
me
Post a Comment