Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Wicked Deep Discussion of Heroism

I taught Classical Literature (you know, those Greeks and Romans) my first year of teaching, and I’ll be teaching it again this year. The question of heroism frequently arises when studying such characters as Achilles, Odysseus and Aeneas. What makes a hero? What made a hero then? How are the two the same and how are they different? (Ohh how the Lit teacher loves good discussion questions!)

It’s easy to say that there aren’t good heroes today. Not the way there were then. I mean, Brad Pitt? Are you kidding me?

However, there are examples such as the NYPD that show that modern America still has some admirable values. And there are personal examples, as evidenced by one of my student’s essays about her mother, whose husband died years ago and who is raising my student, her sister, and her handicapped son on her own.

And then there are sports. Oh ya.

So now I must share some of my favorite examples of heroics in sports.

#1 (of course). Curt Schilling in the 2004 World Series, pitching with his tendon stitched to his ankle bone (or whatever gross thing it was), risking his future career for victory. And boy howdy, did it ever work! (My students say “boy howdy” now, every once in awhile, much to my glee and to their parents bewilderment.) Why is this heroic? It’s an example of someone willing to give himself (my students also know that self-sacrifice is my favorite theme in literature!) for something larger than himself.

#2. Curt Schilling (déjà vu anyone?) in his youth, heeding the voice of wisdom. He was a young punk, living up the life of a major league player and a major league player’s salary, partying, and generally goofing off. Roger Clemens pulled him aside one day, and gave him a talking to. If you ever want to amount to anything, Clemens told him, you’ve got to cut this out, take this seriously, and start working hard. Schilling did so, and became one of baseball’s greatest pitchers. The heroism is a little different here – perhaps a little closer to home. It’s the heroism of someone willing to humble himself, take the advice of another (in this case a peer, which is impressive), and engage in self-denial for a greater end.

#3. Dustin Pedroia making it to the major leagues (and doing quite well there, I might add!), despite his stature. People thought he couldn’t do it, because he was so short, and his range would be limited. But now he’s there on the Red Sox, contributing handsomely. Plus, he has the coolest name in baseball. Except for maybe Dante Bichette. The heroism here is the diligence to work hard, and persistence to stick with it, even in the face of nay-sayers.

#4. Tim Naehring (why haven’t you mentioned him earlier?! you may ask. Ah, I respond, I was carefully crafting this masterpiece in a way that would make you wonder, holding you in suspense, until the end. Plus, haven’t you heard of the saying “best for last?”) being willing to take LESS MONEY to stay with the Red Sox rather than be traded to the Indians (Orioles?). Not too shabby, eh? Where do you see that in professional sports these days? I still remember that little newspaper clipping that was on my wall through high school which said, “Kirby Puckett and Tim Naehring aside, loyalty is a rare commodity in baseball.” OH YA! That’s my hero! I once wrote an entire essay on why Tim Naehring was my hero, and this point played a big role. Loyalty is heroic in my book (not to mention Homer’s and a bunch of other guy’s).

So there you have it, people. We still have heroes – we just have to know where to look for them (i.e. The Red Sox)!

PS. Two other heroes are Danny and Gretchen, people who give themselves daily for their families and for God and I wish them a very happy birthday (yesterday and today). Love you guys!

10 comments:

Aaron said...

Great post! And way to go to all the extra work to get the accents for "déjà vu."

Other examples I would add are, tonight in particular, Mike Lowell and Daniel Cabrera of the Orioles. Lowell saw what needed to be done and he did it. It takes devotion to hit a home run when everyone else has tried and failed! As for Cabrera, he had courage. Most pitchers with a record of 8-12 would quail before an evil powerhouse team like the NY Yankees, especially when said team was on a four-game winning streak. But Cabrera did not quail. He steeled his will and pitched a shut-out - and his team backed him up with 12 runs! If that's not being a hero, what is?

Happy birthday to Danny and Gretchen!

Booker said...

Since I don't know how serious you are being, equating men playing sports for money as Heroes, I shall simply say nothing...

drewey fern said...

Amen, Aaron, amen! You're totally thinking!

Hey now, DJ, Achilles got money too you know...

redsoxwinthisyear said...

I think another name should be added to the list with Tim N., when it comes to playing for the Sox for less money: Tim Wakefield. The guy could easily get more money than 4 mil a year playing elsewhere, but he signed a contract that lets the Red Sox renew him at that rate in perpetuity. And to think he's on a pace for the best season of his career as a 41 year old! Not too shabby...

CKS said...

An excellent list!

Just one more to add...

...Dan Jansen who, after two devastating Olympics filled with failure, one during which his sister died of cancer, came back for a third Olympics and BROKE THE WORLD RECORD!!! He's the perfect example of the aspect of heroism which "nevah, evah, evah give[s] up!"

drewey fern said...

Amen Chad, Amen Craig!!!

PS. I had no idea how to add the accents for "deja vu..." I just typed the blog in Word, and it added it automatically. :)

TripleNine said...

A baseball player is nothing more than an actor who does his own stunts.

Booker said...

Amen to that...

Anonymous said...

ditto to what those Jones boyz said :-)

What about the great sports players who played while hurt and failed so greatly we never hear from them again. Are they heroic? Or is fame a requirement for heroism.

Also Achilles wasn't necessarily a hero either. You have to look at the motives of accomplishing good and presenting a service to mankind.

Achilles (I would argue) was more concerned with being remembered for a long time, as per the Greeks thoughts in immortality. This puts his actions as being selfish and not heroic.

drewey fern said...

There's a lot of negativity out there about baseball players! It does take skill to be able to do what they do. And dedication and, yes, even sacrifice. Just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they don't sacrifice! Granted I was a bit tongue-in-cheek in talking about them as the best of heroes. But the best of them (and by best I mean more than just batting average - character plays a big role) have rightly won a lot of respect.

Ethan, I'd say a baseball player who fails while hurt isn't heroic because he failed, not because he didn't become famous. The sport of baseball celebrates success, not defeat.

And I assert that Achilles certainly was a hero. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that he isn't a hero by today's standards. He was still an incredible hero to the Greeks. He accomplished their highest ideals. He should be taken in Homer's context and not today's.

But I would say he's still a hero by today's standards because he was willing to sacrifice his life for what was most important (even though what was most important then isn't the same as what's most important now). And what's more, he was willing to let go of his rage and pride in pity for Priam.

Whee! That was fun! Feel free to argue more if you want - I like nice, safe arguments about things like baseball and ancient heroes (or non-heroes). :)