GUYS! I read SO MUCH over Thanksgiving break! For a long time I've felt starved for a good book - I just haven't been reading much recently. And so I grabbed my chance with five days off. Mostly my Thanksgiving break went like this:
Read
Sleep
Read
Help Mom (a little)
Read
Go to Thanksgiving service
Read
Sleep
Read
Help Mom (a little more)
Eat Thanksgiving Dinner
Enjoy family
Read
Sleep
Read
Go to town
Read
Go back to town (why couldn't I get that car fixing appointment a little earlier?!)
Sabbath meeting
Enjoy family
Read
Sleep
Reeeeeead
Enjoy family
Read
Sleep
Church
Go home via lunch w/ friend
Pretty good, eh? That's my kind of vacation. It's amazing how much I love reading when I can do it without distraction!
Sooo, what did I read? Ahh, a good question. I started off with an Agatha Christie. Can't go wrong there. VERY much enjoyed the character descriptions - one totally reminded me of me, flaws and all! Weowd.
Then I decided for a little more culture, and picked up "The Mayor of Casterbridge" which I'd started and abandoned. The plot definitely heated up, and I was surprised by the ending. Reading some of the commentary helped me to understand it, and I feel like a more well-rounded human being for having read it.
Then, because too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, I opted for another Agatha Christie. I shortly discovered I'd read it before, but I couldn't remember much, and certainly couldn't remember who'd done it. I was curious. It was a good read all over again, and I was fooled. I always am, with good ol' Dame Christie. Or is it Dame Agatha? Anyway, I was fooled.
It was time for more culture, so I picked up another 19th c British novel called "Barchester Towers" by Anthony Trollope. It was a loooong book, and everything that could be said in 10 words was said in 25. I'd say it's the kind of book that should probably be enjoyed over a long period of time, bit by bit, as opposed to a 24 hour period. But you know what? It was a great story! A great read! And the author had a beautifully Victorian way with words. Not quite as good as Dickens, but reminiscent thereof. I enjoyed the characters there, too.
And, to reward myself for being so cultured I decided on... another Agatha Christie! This story, "The Big Four," was quite different than most of her stories - involving more spy-story tendencies than usual. Quite enjoyable.
Well, I don't know if this book counts, because I only started it on vacation, I won't finish it on vacation (unless I have insomnia tonight or something), but I'm currently reading "Remembered Anger" by Martha Albrand - a story about a man betrayed in WWII who decides to track down his betrayer after the war.
AHHHHHHHH! I love reading! I'm about ready to say goodnight to the Patriots (who are obviously going to win) and pick up my book again... and it's only the first quarter!
7 comments:
Wow! You are amazing... It must be nice to be able to read fast :)
And you're funny too: The Pats obviously going to win and it's only the first quarter! And too much a good thing is an awesome thing. Kinda like you! Glad you got so much reading under your belt to last you 'til Christmas :)
Okay- did you make up that saying- too much of a good thing is an awesome thing? It sounds like something Strongbad would say...
And I love how you started out,
" GUYS!" like you were bursting into a room full of friends with good news...because that is so you!
Wow, I am totally envious of all that reading you got to do. :-) That's awesome that you got to do so much. It's been years since I've read an Agatha Christie, and reading your blog got me all fired up to go to the library and check one out!
Hurray for the cultural experience. For the ultimate cultural experience in 18th century British literature, try Samuel Richardson's Pamela, then move on to Clarissa. I haven't read them, but they are referenced so much by 18th century scholars they MUST be cultural! :-)
(They're epistolary novels, so not for the faint of heart!)
And I'm glad your faith in the Patriots was stronger than mine, which required me to watch a little longer than the first quarter--to the end, that is.
I must admit I did NOT make up "Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing." I got it from Mark Stamps:) Where he got it, I'm not sure, although Strongbad would be my first guess...
Wowzah! Thatsa lotta reading! And I think it's Dame Agatha...somehow it just sounds better to me.
Love you loads!
Nice! A good book is a great companion...
Post a Comment