Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas: The Time for Traditions...

Back in the days when I was in school, our family was making Christmas traditions left and right. You know, things like a Christmas story Christmas Eve, the girls sleeping under the tree, certain ornaments that had to go up, favorite music, stockings, gift-opening traditions... And then there was one tradition all my own. I used to get sick practically every Christmas. Our theory was that I was pushing, pushing, pushing to get everything accomplished school-wise, and then I would let down for vacation and WHAM! I'd get sick.

This year I decided to take that tradition up again. Yup. My family is downstairs listening to Christmas music and chatting away over dinner, and I'm up here, feeling fever-y. But Mama left the door open so that I can be a part of it all. Much better than isolation, which I've never been a big fan of. I can even make out snatches of conversation. I just heard Kimberly say, "Remember how she always used to get sick on Christmas, though?" Awwww. They're talking about me!

The nice thing is that I got to stay in bed alllll day. Many is the time I've awoken to my alarm and wished that I could get away with this. Of course, I didn't count in the headache and general malaise. But still - I have an excuse to be totally and completely unproductive. So that's jolly.

Now for something a little more Christmas-y. I loved this year’s Christmas service yesterday – so many lovely and inspiring contributions focusing on the love and the wonder of Christmas. I’m thankful to our great God for His great Love given to us and for us on the first Christmas, and for the difference it has made in every single subsequent day.

Merry Christmas everyone! (And Happy Birthday, Clyde!)

3 comments:

KJ said...

Malaise... good word....

I wish you weren't sick... get better soon!

I love you :)

lis said...

Yeah, well, weller, wellest! :O)

Kristi said...

Hope you feel better for Christmas! I can totally relate to getting sick as soon as the pre-vacation stress is over. Usually hits me the end of Dec. or beginning of Jan. I'm hoping it will just pass me by this year. Ahem, 'Pass' me by, rather. :-D