Sunday, December 16, 2007

Oh For the Days of Horses and Carriages

Fiascoes galore! That's what my commutes have held recently. Oy vay.

First was the flat tire. On 95. On the way to work. A state trooper called a CVS help van for me, and I only missed morning devotions. Not too shabby!

Then two weeks ago I was on my way to work, this time on 195, when my car started rattling, I looked down, and saw my temperature gauge at the TOP! I'd never seen the like. I careened over to the (fortunately wide) shoulder, and decided the time had come to join AAA (or would you write Triple A?). Join I did, and the tow truck was to come in 45 minutes. In the mean time a CVS help van pulled up, and the kind man let me wait in his van so I wouldn't freeze to death. I love CVS help vans!

The tow truck pulled up and lo! the hydraulics broke! I was so amused, because when I teach irony to my students, that's one of my favorite examples: I break down, and the tow truck pulls up and gets a flat tire or something. What are the odds?! Anyway, the second tow truck was there just a few moments later, I got a tow, rented a car, and only missed first period! Then Uncle Paul bailed me out with a loaner car to use while mine got fixed.

Then came last Thursday. Snow storm. Remember? Well, we got out of school at noon, in order to beat the storm. The snow was already falling thick and fast, and it took me two hours to get to the outskirts of Providence - a trip that usually takes 40 minutes or so. And then, with startling regularity, one after another of the warning lights on the dashboard came on. I put in a call to Uncle Paul, he picked up... and the car died. Right in the slow lane of 195.

How fortuitous that I had just joined AAA/Triple A.

The call was shortly made, and I was put on high priority since I was actually on the highway, and not the shoulder. Thankfully, the traffic was moving at a deathly slow pace, so I wasn't in any real danger. But I felt awfully forlorn sitting there in a car being steadily covered with snow while cars passed by one after another.

Nearly TWO HOURS later the tow truck arrived. There were so many calls in to our friends of the A variety, that low priority calls were waiting more like 3 or 4 hours. Hurrah for breaking down on the highway!

And yet, the fun was not over... The tow took THREE HOURS. When there isn't heavy traffic, that trip takes about 10 minutes. But this wasn't just heavy traffic, it was unbelievable. We went 3/4 of a mile in about an hour. And then the exit for my apartment was blocked by a semi that couldn't make the hill. Another road was blocked by an accident.

I have never been so relieved to see my apartment! I flipped on the news and discovered that I was far from alone as far as horror stories go... All over Providence people were stuck for hours. Sara, who works 15 minutes from our apartment, took 7 hours to get home! Uncle Paul took 5 hours to get from the shop to my apartment and then home. It was a disaster. Entire roads, areas, highways at a standstill. OY VAY!

Anyway, it all turned out alright in the end. And Uncle Paul got my car fixed for WAY less than it was supposed to take, so now I have my own car back. I was so happy with it that I kissed the steering wheel. We hope the driving fiascoes are at an end now...

There's so much more I could say, but this seems long enough. Amazing how a little time passing makes these things more of a good story than an absolute nightmare. Time heals all wounds, and all that...

4 comments:

Claire said...

Oh my WOOOORD! I can't belieeeeeve these tales of horror! You poooor thing!

Aaron said...

Horses and carriages would have made it through that snowstorm in NO time, of course. :)

I'm impressed by how many things went wrong in so short a space of time. Good thing that bit of irony was there to lighten things up a smidgen.

ljm said...

That is awful. Driving in snow is the worst....cannot believe that story.

Anonymous said...

Time, and the awareness that you now have great fodder for a blog post, heals all...

Excellent story, though doubtless much more entertaining to read about than to experience : )