Sunday, January 13, 2008

Marriage & Resurrection

Four days ago one of my students leaped up from where he was sitting at the lunch table, and before the entire student body loudly proclaimed that the new Latin teacher and I would make a perfect match. The room was in an uproar! Some students were scandalized that he would say something like that, others were protesting that the new Latin teacher is old enough to be my grandfather (which isn't technically true, I don't think, but pretty close). I was amused at his matchmaking, and even more amused by the hubbub it caused.

Two days ago one of my students asked me if I would marry Shakespeare if he was alive today. I said that I would not, because it's dangerous with those genius artist types - they might forget you exist! We joked about the possible scenarios and moved on.

There have been other similar moments recently as well. What is it about my students worrying about my not being married? It doesn't bother me that they talk about it - I think it's rather charming. But still, where does it come from? I guess they, like many others, view single-ness as a problem that they must fix. Ah my dears, fear not. I'm right where I belong, and I'm loving it.

Speaking of people coming to life again, Friday was teacher training and we were reading a book by John Milton Gregory about teaching. It's an excellent book, and has sparked many conversations and a good bit of inspiration in our training times. On this occasion my headmaster said, "I love this man! I wish I could resurrect him and hug him!" I burst right into laughter - what a great thing to say!

And before you can ask me, no, I don't think I'd marry John Milton Gregory if he was alive today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I love this man! I wish I could resurrect him and hug him!"

Truly a quote for all time! And twice as funny picturing who said it: it sounds more like something you would say...Maybe you're rubbing off on him!

And as for viewing your singleness as a problem to be fixed, I bet your students just see you as the perfect candidate for romance (more perfect than they are at this stage anyway), and who doesn't love to match-make!?

Kristi said...

Ah, yes, we went through that book when I was teaching at a CC school. Good stuff! You might remind your students that marrying you off could possibly mean you not being their teacher as long, which would probably cure their eagerness to marry you off! Nothing like your death or marriage to make people realize just how much they love you! (Heh, heh, not really, but I've had an outpouring of sorrow from friends and students at the idea of my moving clear across the country. You'd think I was dying!)