Sunday, February 24, 2008

From Alpha Centauri

One of my students recently recommended (and loaned me) the book Alpha Centauri. It was a great story, along the lines of the Narnia stories (though not as masterful, of course...). There were some beautiful moments in the story, and some quotes I really liked. So now I share one with you.

This is one of the First Ones discussing "the problem of pain" with the main character. I loved the simplicity and truth in his words.

"'But why does the Shaper allow all this to happen?'

'That is known only to the Shaper,' Menos replied. 'Sometimes we think we have a glimpse of why. Sometimes the Shaper may take what the Warper has twisted and make from it a thing more beautiful than before. Sometimes good is better for having overcome evil. But finally, only the Shaper knows the "why," and finally only he shapes good out of all.'"

No comments: