Sooo, today I sent a kid to the principal's office for the first time in my entire career! The ironic thing is that he really didn't deserve it this time as much as he has in the past. The other ironic thing is that he's one of my favorite students - he makes me laugh every day.
Anyway, after hearing repeated talks about the need for good discipline in my classroom, I finally instituted a new policy. If I have to talk to a student about poor behavior (talking without raising his hand, throwing something, etc), his name goes on the board. Next time is a check, next time is a trip to the principal's office.
This particular student was actually being quite good, but happened to talk without raising his hand three times. Oy vay. I looked at him with a kind of shocked face and said, "Um... you have to go see the principal." This happened to be a class of all boys, all very competitive, and they were pretty psyched about this turn of events.
Part of their joy stems from a dream I shared with them a couple of months ago (probably unwisely - but it was so funny!), in which someone totally acted up, I was about to send him to the principal, and then I realized it was this particular boy and changed my mind, sending him to the hall, instead. Thus it became the running joke that I would never send him, no matter what. When they realized I was really doing it, there was quite a to-do.
My poor student was shocked. I told him I would go with him:) You see, I wanted to explain to the principal that he wasn't really being all that bad... it was just this new policy. (I know, I know.) So I headed out the door, and he followed about 10 feet behind, making lamenting noises and comments all the way.
But when we got to the office, lo! the principal wasn't there! Ahhhh, phew! I was so relieved. I had followed through, but my students hadn't gotten in more trouble than he deserved:)
We headed back into the classroom, which was in an uproar to see us both return. They accused me of just peeking around the corner and zipping away again with an "oh well! He's not here! Let's go quick!" Hee hee. I protested that I had really looked for the principal. But they were right in spirit:)
Another red letter teaching day in the history of Andrea.
3 comments:
Oh my word! SO FUNNY! I really laughed repeatedly long and loud. Brad was like, " What are you reading?!" and all I could say was, "Andrea!"
Wwaahahahaha!! I love it!! :)
I liked that the boys were "psyched about this turn of events."
Okay, I must break my blogging silence for this one! I am laughing too hard to leave no comment.
You are ridiculous and I love you for it!!!
Post a Comment