If you will, please recall the post I wrote concerning the computer store. Place yourself back in that environment, and hear my voice breaking into the largeness to say that I was not exactly rolling in wealth, and would like an assessment before any work was done.
Now move forward several days to my phone ringing in the living room. I pick it up to hear that my computer is ready, the problem sort of fixed, and the bill $120.
Gulp.
I drove into Keene already frustrated with some plans that had fallen through, and had an annoying time running a couple of errands. Needless to say I was not in the best frame of mind for arriving at the computer store. I walked in to find only the little man. That was one break, anyway. He proceeded to tell me that my computer was fixed, and would no longer randomly blink off... unless I tipped it sideways or picked it up from underneath.
??
He then wanted to demonstrate that it would still work when I picked it up from the sides. He booted it up, picked it up, and all was well. Well that was good - at least something was working right.
But then he also felt it necessary to show me that it would freeze/blink off if I tipped it. He tipped it. Sure enough it froze. Greeeat. But THEN he wanted to show me that it would also do that if picked up from underneath.
In case you aren't keeping track, that meant that I was standing there over the course of THREE boot-ups of the computer. And mine doesn't exactly zip through the speed up process. So all I want to do is get out of there, and instead I'm standing there watching my problematic computer have clock-work-like problems.
FINally, after carefully writing down FOUR possible anti-virus/anti-spyware programs I might want to look into, he released me.
I trudged to my car and went home. I stopped by Gretchen's to drop off a gallon of milk, and told her what had happened. She was very annoyed on my behalf. It is good to have siblings who will support you in your angst.
Then I popped by the garage to drop off Kimberly's car (I'd borrowed it to take, but Gerry was going to be doing some work on it), and met Gerry coming down the hill. We were about to carry on a conversation when my hair got stuck in Kimberly's rear-view mirror decor, and I absolutely blew up in one long roared "THIS IS THE WORST DAY EVER!!!!!!"
Gerry said something along the lines of "Hmmm, maybe this isn't the best time to ask you if you'll do the children's part of 9:00 hour tomorrow..." Hahahahaha :)
Then Gretchen came along and explained that I'd just paid a lot of money for not really getting my computer fixed, and without an assessment ahead of time. Gerry looked properly shocked and horrified. He's the best!
I went home and decided to read my troubles away in the hammock (that will cover a multitude of sins!).
But then I heard Gretchen call from her house to Shawn, who was in the garden, "I'm going to save the day!" Or something like that. And suddenly I looked at the leaves above me with a wild surmise. Was it possible?!
Sure enough, my phone rang. It was Gretchen. "I'm going in to Keene to get your money back. Want to come?" I leapt from the hammock in amazement and ran into the house for my shoes.
As I got into the car my interrogation began. She explained. She'd called the computer store and asked for the (loud) boss, but discovered he wasn't there. It was still the small man by himself. So she said, "Well, we have a problem... " and explained how things were and said "I think we need to come get her money back." And he said, "I'll be here until 5:30."
WOWZER!
As we zipped in I said I did NOT want to go in, I was just along for the ride. My non-confrontational nature wanted nothing to do with going in there and accusing him (more or less) of robbing me blind (is that the expression? I wonder why? Why blind? Anyway...). I even mentioned the possibility of being dropped off a block down the road in case he should see me out the window. It was, after all, besides being a confrontational situation, a little embarrassing that I needed my sister to do my dirty work for me...
I ended up sitting in the parking lot after all, while Gretchen went in. Imagine my incredible consternation when all of a sudden I heard Gretchen's voice calling from the door "We're having a great time in here! You should come in!"
WHAT?!?! She had just revealed my presence in the car to the very man I was hiding from! What was she thinking! I slinked down a little in my seat in horror, and hoped she wouldn't be too much longer.
About 10 minutes later she called out AGAIN. "Andrea, you really should come in - we're having a great time!" OH MY WORD. I called up Kimberly in my desperation. "What is she doing?!?" She pointed out that she was probably just in social mode, which I saw was probably true. But oh my word. Then I saw her come out of the store WITH HIM. I thought I would melt away and die on the spot. I slunk down realllly low, and she got into the car as I was saying to Kimberly "Stay on the line with me in case he comes over!" hoping that he would see I was engaged in conversation and couldn't chat. Fortunately there was no need, the man was just coming out to remove the open sign.
So as I said goodbye to KJ and we cleared the parking lot I said "What in the world were you doing?!?!" She was horrified to find out how mad I was, and hastened to explain. She thought I didn't want to come in because I didn't want to embarrass him (which was true, partly), and when she saw how well the conversation was going, and that he was a Christian, and that he insisted upon our taking all the money, even though were were willing to leave some (she finally did talk him into taking a little), and that the random call I got from the loud boss requesting me to remind him of the problem (um, it clicks off every two seconds, pal, didn't you notice that?) was supposed to be the call giving me the estimate, and that he felt terrible about it, she realized that the coast was clear and amicable should I desire to come in for reconciliation. By the time I heard all of that all was well in my soul, I was giggling, and I didn't even mind that she'd invited him to church:)
PHEW!
So let's recap: I got totally gypped, just like all girls are supposed to be in mechanical situations, and my big sister jumped into the fray and got me my money back! Hurrah for HER! She already was my hero - but now I have even more evidence of her heroism.
5 comments:
This brings to mind a particular incident in Scotland where Gretchen and I (and Uncle Tim and Daddy, I suspect) were cringing in the background as one member of our group demanded our money be returned on some rental car technicality..."You CAN, you just don't WANT TO!"
having people who aren't afraid of confrontations in ones life can be a very good thing. In this case, $120 worth of a good thing :-)
Hahaha!!! I laughed a lot! And it reminds me of Clyde and me, though in completely different circs. Like when he got really mad on my behalf at bank supervisors last summer when they decided to let me go without much notice. I was like, "Um, okay! Whatever you say!" and he was like, "That's so WRONG!!!"
It is great for people of our ilk to have defenders. :-)
Oh, and if you left huge chunks of your hair in KJ's rearview mirror apparatus, maybe she'd downsize.
It's official: Gretchen is awesome. I could no more so that then, um, swim the English channel. Actually that might be easier.
As another [partial] phlegmatic, I totally empathize! Unless I'm ripping mad for some reason, I'll just skulk away and avoid confrontation, even if I've been ripped off. Especially if it's about a subject I don't really know much about (like cars and computers)! Yay for Gretchen!!
Post a Comment