I was listening to some guy on the radio recently, and he was talking about a friend he'd had for (gasp) over ten years! He was talking about it like it was a rare thing - something noteworthy. And I realized that it really is rare in many cases. People make friends in school, then leave them to go to college. Then they make friends in college and leave them to go to work. Work friends come and go. Neighbors come and go. A friend that lasts from childhood to adulthood is unusual.
And then I saw how incredible "lucky" I am... My oldest friend (that I'm currently friends with) has been my friend for 26 years. That's pretty remarkable, considering I'm 29! And others of my closest friends have held that place for over 20 years.
One of those is Grace, with whom I've been visiting for the past couple of days with Katie (another friend of 20+ years!). We haven't actually seen each other for three years, but slipped so easily into the old friend groove - first catching up on each other's recent doings, then moving on to such important subjects as CS Lewis, the evils of the culture's "follow your heart" mantra, 19th century religious figures... and Grace's dog (who's wicked cute).
What a refreshing, wonderful time we spent together! Let's hear it for childhood friends that make adulthood a joy.
3 comments:
Amen Sistah! We are indeed very "yucky!" I rejoice with you in your chance to catch up with old friends!
I'm glad you're blogging lately! I've been thinking some about the unique friendship opportunities we've had lately...feeling a little sad that my kids won't have quite the same experience.
H'ray for friendships renewed!
"There is no friend like an old friend who has seen our morning days."
Don't know who said it, but I've thought of it often...I'm blessed with some 20+ year friendships as well, and pretty soon even some of my "new" friends (ie, Bible School classmates) will be reaching the 20 year mark! Aiee!
Post a Comment