Monday, July 27, 2009

Come Now...

...When did it become such a crime to be a people pleaser?

In defense of people pleasers the world over, I'd like to make two statements:

#1. People pleasing is not wrong. It's okay to think of others!
#2. I do have a backbone. I can say no if I need to.

And no, no recent episode made me need to state this:) I've just been thinking of it off and on recently, and was scrambling for something to blog about. I decided on the short version of this post in order to, you know, not displease people.

4 comments:

Linds said...

here! here! People-Pleasers-With-Backbones of the World... UNITE!

gretchen said...

Ha ha! In fact, I think the world could use a few MORE people pleasers, and it would be a nicer place for everyone! : )

Where's that great quote I read to you about "throughout his life he was universally beloved"? It would be very apt, but I'm afraid I already returned that book to the library...

drewey fern said...

I totally thought of that quote! I really need to track that down and copy it:)

Marie said...

I'm also a people pleaser... I wonder if I needa work on saying "no" more or to speak my opinion when it's contrary to someone elses...but I've learned if I keep my mouth shut and let the other person air their opinion or vent... it's good to give them room without having to disagree... why disagree when they need the grace and space to have their opinion... it's being gracious sometimes to be a people pleaser and it's a way of giving... and maturity in some ways... this is an interesting topic actually...she said "pleasantly"!!!!!!!

ok does that make sense? ;)